Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My play and my pay

Well, sometimes I have a hard time getting myself to do whatever it is that I most need to be doing.  Por ejemplo, right now I really need to be finishing my literature review for 498 before class so that I have time to write my paper for 356 after class.  

In an effort to invite such much-desired, and concurrently much-avoided behaviors, I have opted to attatch some positive reinforcement (adding something desireable) and negative punishment (removing/denying myself of something desired) to the behavior.  Since this is merely a singular situation and not long-term, it isn't true behaviorism, but hopefully an application of these operant conditioning techniques can still serve me well.  We shall see.  

The plan is this: I have grounded myself from going to work until I finish my literature review and paper.  This is a form of positive reinforcement in that as soon as I complete my projects, I will get to go to work, which is both my play and my pay.  I really enjoy working, I adore my coworkers, and work is my source of income.  So in doing the desired behavior, I get something i want.  But, on the other hand, my procrastination of such assignments is met with negative punishment in that I don't get to go to work that day.  I don't get to see my coworkers, I don't get to judge people, and I don't earn money.  Which means I will either have to make up hours later in the week, or else I will have a decreased paycheck next pay period.  

Yesterday I didn't get to work at all.  Today is looking as though I won't get any work hours in either.  I have an hour and a half before a class in which I hope to finish the lit review.  After I get out of class I will write my other paper, assuming the lit review has already been completed and submitted.  

Thus far my little experiment is proving ineffective.  Instead of working on what needs to be done while I'm not at work, I find myself filling my time with other activities such as writing on my blog, working on a speech, or reviewing old lecture slides from class.  But who knows, maybe after I post this I will actually start working on that lit review.

1 comment:

C Tam said...

So THAT's where you've been! We all missed you in the lab!