Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ponderings on Pride

So I was thinking about pride, and I recognized something that sort of stuck out to me. I was reading through the Book of Mormon and again being struck by the emphasis placed on the state of the heart, be it hardheartedness, an open heart, etc. Then I reviewed parts of the classic talk by President Benson, Beware of Pride. I thought on some of his classifications of pride. He defined pride as enmity. He discussed pride looking down. And he expounded upon the concept of pride looking up. Then I started thinking about family science research and John Gottman’s Four Horsemen: criticism, contempt, defensiveness and stonewalling. I couldn’t help but note that all of those key, distinguishing characteristics of a relationship heading for disaster were manifestations of pride. They all involved hard hearts. No wonder we are warned to beware of pride. It was the destroyer of ancient civilizations, it is the destroyer of faith and peace, and it is a destroyer of families and relationships. So please, beware of pride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome thoughts. It really is one of the biggies in our downfalls. It keeps us blaming others and not repenting of our faults and blinding ourselves to our responsiblity in things that happen. Love to chat "deep" with you!
(it was so fun to see you a few weeks ago!)