Then I went home and found that my laptop was broke. It wouldn't start. When I plugged it in, not even the light indicating that it was connected to the power source would illuminate. That was particularly troublesome since all my class notes, some started assignments, and other valued resources were only accessible on my computer. I tried not to think about it and just enjoy myself and my family in AZ. But I got back and was reminded of the computer deal. I tried turning on the computer again, but to no avail. I took out the battery and put it back in and tried again. Still, nothing. And I was exhausted after only 4 hours of sleep last night and a 10 hour car ride back to Utah. Plus I'm on my period (sorry to those of you readers for whom that is too much information). And was pretty much at a breaking point. And sort of broke. Meaning cried.
So Shan called about this time to see how my weekend was and how I was doing. I appreciated it. She asked me how I was doing and I expressed some of my frustrations. She asked if she could do anyhting. I asked her to pray for my computer. She said she would. I have a lot of faith in the power of Shan's prayers. It was after hanging up with Shan that I finally cried. I don't like it when I cry. I see it as a sign that something is wrong.
I started to text a friend, thinking to ask for ideas on how to feel better, and then I realized that I knew what I needed to do to feel better. So I put down my cell phone, got on my knees, and prayed. And I felt slightly better. And slightly less exhausted. And I started trying to figure out how to listen to the CES fireside (I still wasn't feeling up to going to the Marriott Center and being around tons of people.) I couldn't figure out how on my roommates' computers. So I decided to go into my room and try my computer one more time.
And you know what? It started. It worked. I see it as a miracle and a response to faith and prayers. And I'm grateful for that tender mercy at a time when I was feeling particularly weak. I'm grateful that my Heavenly Father is mindful of me and has blessed me with this little miracle. The Lord hears and answers prayers. And He knows how to help me feel better when I'm feeling down. I'm grateful for a testimony of prayer and for the experiences that continue to fortify my faith in that fundamental principle. And I'm really glad that I caught the fireside.
5 comments:
You know Allison, I think that's great. I'm glad you blogged about your experience. Yeah, prayer really is a lifesaver. I'm sure the test thing will work itself out as the semester progresses. What kind of grad schools are you applying to?
IT was so awesome to see you! I was thrilled to see that I made the highlights of your trip list! It was great to get to talk to you, though I was hanging pictures all the while (thanks for your help witht that)I didn't know you had all these other crisis going on! It was great to hear of your tender mercy. (you didn't tell me about being on your period! wow) Anyway, it was great! Good luck with all you're doing! Love ya lots
It's okay to cry, Allison. Really. If it helps, think of it as an emotional release, not as a sign of weakness. Something your body needs to do in order to move on.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your tender mercy. I'm so glad things are going better!
Hi Al...
I loved hearing the details. that's what makes those tender mercies so tender, huh? The wonderful intimacy of it. The crying point -- I am all of a sudden distracted by Sue's cat hunting birds outside. He just crouched down in wait, flicking his tail... -- ok, so the crying point intrigues me. I noticed crying isn't in Rogers & Hammerstein's My Favorite Things lyrics either. I am curious of the social inferences of crying in different cultures. I wonder why something so healing and cleansing and softening as weeping is commonly resisted in our culture, and what it means in others? Is it a cultural thing at all or is it strictly personal? I'm not necessarily looking for an answer,I guess it's mostly a muse. As always, Allison, thanks for sharing yourself. =)
Oh, and one more thought on the menstration thread: So my friend (older than me by 10 years and not related) is studying the tampon options at Costco one day, thinking to herself, "Gosh, do I have to buy 500? Can't I just get a box of 25 at the Costco price?" Presently, another woman walks by, and noticing the deep study and perhaps perplexed expression on my friends face said, "I know, they should be free!"
Post a Comment