Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Well, I'm no shopper.  As a youth, shopping for clothes was considered to be an act of torture in my mind.  I would walk among racks and displays of clothing with my arms folded and head down.  But rather than being in a state of reverence, as is often associated with such a position, it was very much a state of anxiety and avoidance, as was evidenced by my antisocial muttering of the words "I hate shopping" repeated continuously under my breath.  I have come a long way since the days of my youth, but I continue to lack any sort of proclivity towards the act of shopping, particularly for clothing.  

Accordingly, I did NOT get up with countless others at insanely early hours to brave the cold or to wrestle against eager crowds to take advantage of the various doorbuster deals I had seen advertised.  Although I must admit, the idea did hold some degree of appeal.  The concept of such chaos and competition sounded oddly exciting.  But if I were to commit to such an endeavor, I would need to have a specific purpose, plan, and strategy.  I heard about a pregnant woman at WalMart this morning who had allegedly tackled some man in order to lay claim on a KitchenAid.  If I cared about an item as much as that woman supposedly cared about that KitchenAid, then I would gladly join the maddening crowds.  However, I did not have any items engaging my interest enough to elicit the necessary dedication to pursue such a course.  Perhaps someday.  But not today.  I am quite glad to know that I was comfortably asleep during those early hours.

I did, however, go shopping today.  At around 11:30.  It was the lady at the cash register that told me about the lady at WalMart.  You see, I have been meaning to go shopping for back-to-school clothes since before the school year started.  Finals are in a few weeks.  It has been on my to-do list for a good while now.  Today I finally had the time, vehicle and motivation to spend my 'new school clothes' budget.  And, it just so happens that  today was a day in which many fine clothes-vending establishment had great sales.  I think that actually influenced the motivation factor.  So I went.  And I conquered. Without having to tackle anyone.  Which is good, since I probably couldn't have done a lot of damage anyway.  I walked out of Old Navy at 12:30 with a bag full of sweaters and pants and I now feel much better equipped for the winter months ahead.

So Mom, I know I told you that when I bought some school clothes with the money you gave me for the cause I'd send pictures...but I spent about half an hour trying to take pictures of myself in the mirror and with the camera timer, and they just didn't turn out well.  Sorry.  I'll bring/wear the clothes home for Christmas break or something so that you can see them.  But here is what I got:  A pair of jeans ($15).  A pair of brown corduroy pants ($20).  Three crewneck, wool/cotton blend sweaters; brown, black, and green ($10 each).  Two tee-shirts; light blue and bright blue ($5 each). A black tank top ($5).  A gray wool, v-neck sweater ($15).  And prior to today I had bought a BYU windbreaker and hoodie.  So that is how I spend the money.  Thanks!   


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a question as you did in the fall efflux of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=power notes ?
I noticed the axiom you procure not used. Or you functioning the dreary methods of promotion of the resource. I have a week and do necheg