So back to the scripture I found the other day. Alma 43:47. I'll alter it a little bit. You'll see where: "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families...therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion." It was interesting to see those contending for and against these propositions. And it was neat to apply this scriptural passage to why it was significant to do so. I truly believe that defending our families is integrally connected to defending ourselves, our country, our rights and our religion. I'm glad the propositions passed. But in both the political arena and in personal family life, I percieve a perpetuated battle. I hope to be actively engaged in the fight. Maybe I'll reread the war chapters in Alma and see what principles I can apply. I know that Alma 50 is full of goodness, but I have a feeling there is a lot more in there too. I love the scriptures. And the family. And the Family Proclamation. Well, I do...
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Family Stuff
So I was reading in the scriptures the other day, and I came across a verse that I especially appreciated. I'd been thinking a lot about the then-upcoming election and proposition 102 in Arizona and the more publicized prop 8 in California and was thinking quite a bit about the importance of the family. The preservation of the family is probably my passion. The other day I purchased Parenting and Children's Internalization of Values: A Handbook of Contemporary Theory from Amazon. It's more than 400 pages of empirically-based text. And it just sounded interesting to me. If I go back to India next summer, which I most likely shall, I will research something that relates to parenting and moral development. Because I consider it one of the most important things in the world. I love my family of origin, I look forward to one day having a family of my own, and the plan is to devote my academic and professional life to studying, serving and supporting the family unit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Allison,
How I wish I could express myself the way you do! I appreciate your honest and optimistic attitude. It is a pleasure to read your journal from time to time. Keep up the good work! Life really is an adventure isn't it?
Love,
Your Gt-Aunt Debra in Utah
I like your thoughts. Baxter and I have been thinking a lot about supporting families too. I am glad that the proposition's passed, but of course it is not the end that we will here about those issues.
You are going back to India? How great. Just make sure to make all of the other girls kill their own cockroaches, too! Don't go all soft on me.... :-)
Post a Comment