Monday, July 6, 2009

My Krister

Rach reading the call at home
My sister Kris recently decided to serve a mission. She filled out the necessary paperwork, did the necessary medical appointments, and went through the necessary interviews. And last week, she received her mission call in the mail. Granted, it was mailed home to Arizona and she happened to be in Utah working Stadium of Fire at the time. Well, she decided that she would be content to have family at home open it and read it to her on the phone while she was surrounded by peeps here in Utah. Way to share the joy. Due to a dead phone and a lack of charger, the circle of peeps was limited to myself. She'd hoped that my brother and sister-in-law-to-be would join us, but they were busy climbing a greased pole for money in Salina. So rad. But, in an effort to include them, Kris made the call to open the call from Sherry's front porch. Well, I suppose it would be the side porch technically.

So there we were. Kris was sitting on the white wicker rocking chair beside a sweet-looking Schwinn and a hammock. I was sitting on the doorstep stair pulling straw off the broom. My bad. Kris called home on my cell. The family was already gathered with Em and Scott and our cousin Susan to join in the ritual. Kris chatted a bit and then got to business. She selected Rachel to be the opener and reader. Tender. She started reading, "Sister Kristi Ellsworth..." and then she got to the part we were waiting for: Florida Ft. Lauderdale Mission.

Strains of Will Smith's "Miami" started flooding my head as I was thrilled for my sister to have her call, and slightly awed since that is the same mission Melanie's younger brother has been called to serve in. And I could tell Kristi was excited. She has had several friends who had served in that mission, and she had been contemplating moving to Florida for the summer a few months back. So excellent. Then she asked about the language. Rachel read on. What a stud. American Sign Language. Whoa buddy! Kris tried to act calm and reserved, but I could tell she was pleased and excited.

I'd talked to her weeks previously about her dream mission call, and she'd expressed a desire to get called ASL. And it happened! Awesome! So yeah, my little sister is going to serve a mission. She reports September 9th. I'm so excited. And in a few more months, The Norster gets her call. I love my sisters. And missionary work. And I'm excited to have gotten to share that moment with my little sis. Beautiful.
Kris & I on graduation day

4 comments:

Mel said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! Cruise.

Bryce & Nicole said...

Wow exciting. A friend of mine from our home ward just got his mission call to the same mission. His name is PJ Hawland.

Scott and Emily said...

what's this about a greased pole? (and it was susan, not chelsy)

Diane said...

Great entry to document an important family event! I'm so glad you were with Kristi in Provo, and I loved reading about her observed reactions. FYI - Nori's papers are "in process" in SL.