Sunday, July 5, 2009

Credit where credit is due

I blogged about the adventure of traveling back from Canada to Provo and the unexpected delay in our journey. However, I failed to acknowledge the blessings inherent in that experience. So I want to do so now.

Okay, so our journey began rather late. We said a prayer and took off at roughly 11pm of Canada Day. I had gotten a good 8 hours of sleep the previous night, but learned that my other two travel companions only had about 4.5 hours of rest. The night before, I had been up until 1:30 playing games and watching Harry Potter, and I was exhausted by the time I got to bed! My eyelids were exceedingly heavy and my eyes hurt to be open, so great was my fatigue.

So we took off at 11. I stayed awake during Sam's 11-2 driving shift and then drove starting at 2am. Somehow, even at that late/early hour, even though my mind, body and eyes should have been exhausted as they were the preceding evening, I felt very alert, awake and free from anticipated discomfort associated with sleep deprivation. When we broke down 3.5 hours later, I was still feeling as though I could have safely kept truckin for several more hours.

Furthermore, if the car had to break down, we picked a good spot for it. We were at the interchange/exit for Dillon. Previous to Dillon the only real place with people, and potentially phone service (I don't really know that), was Butte, which was over an hour away. But we were in a place near people and a mechanic, we had close landmarks for explaining where we were. We had AAA roadside assistance to connect us with a local tow-truck and mechanic. And we weren't stranded in the middle of no where.

So I feel that I was blessed with strength beyond my own to stay awake and alert and I felt that we were blessed with very favorable circumstances all things considered. Meaning, if we had to break down, it was much better than it could have been. So yeah, I felt blessed. Plus we managed to get the ride to Butte and the rental car was much less expensive than anticipated. Good times.

No comments: