Friday, October 3, 2008

You'll be glad you did

So I went to my mission reunion tonight.  And I'll be honest, I didn't really want to go.  In fact, I intentionally left almost an hour later than I knew I should to be there when it started.  And I would have rated high on externalized negative for content, affect and tone as I expressed my feelings towards going.  But as my Mom pointed out, it was one of those things were I would be glad I did in retrospect.  And I was.  

I talked myself into it using four primary motivators: not wanting to regret not going, Sister Crockett hugs (which I really needed/wanted), President Crockett counsel (which I also felt in need of), and Blue Bell Ice Cream (yum).  So now I am free of regret, hugged, directed and full of some of the best ice cream in the world.  And I really enjoyed seeing and talking with former friends and companions.  I saw Sis. Monson and Tafiti for the first time since the mission.  And it was good to see Krysten, Ruth, Jenn, Danny and assorted other friends from the mission.  I enjoyed seeing some of my favorite Elders, and some of my favorite senior couples.  

It was a good and enjoyable evening, and I was relaxed and real and it was more than the typical get-to-know-you chit chat, which was a relief.  My favorite conversation was with Sister South.  It was natural, playful, and ghetto.  Halfway through the conversation I asked, "so, what up?"  Her reply (which was entirely facetious) was "well, I joined a gang last week.  Had my first drive by."  So we talked about the ficticous Buick and failed attempt.  She mentioned getting a tattoo, so we talked about what it would say and where it would go.  It was fun.  That girl is hilarious. We were never companions, but we had an incredible exchange once that involved a life-size punching dummy named Max and a great lesson on the Word of Wisdom.  Good times.

Sister Crockett's energy level floors me.  I love it.  We had a devotional in the chapel where she and President addressed us briefly.  And Sister Crockett was her characteristic self: loving, excited, animated, story-telling and acronym-promoting.  So now, whenever I see a gatorade I am supposed to think: Goals, Attitude, True, Obedience, Read, Attributes of Christ, Disciple and Eager.  She also started out with the familiar 'If...Then' basket from Zone Conferences.  True to the 'if...then' pattern of blessings associated with obedience, she would give us treats if we fulfilled certain measures.  Tonight, in order to partake of the goods of the 'if...then' basket we had to measure up to the following standards:  If you have gone to the temple in the last week...(check).  If you have read your scriptures at least 4 times this week...(check).  If you are married...(whoops...didn't see that coming).  So I ended up with a candy bag (Hershey's with Almonds) and some fruit snacks from the basket.

President also had good counsel to offer.  His main message was to go to the temple, go often and to be worthy to go.  That fit well with some goals I've been thinking of.  I recently heard it said that if you only go to the temple as often as it is convenient, then you don't go often enough.  I want to sacrifice to go regularly, even and especially when it isn't convenient.  It was a good reunion.  I'm glad that I went.  Forward Texas Fort Worth!


No comments: