Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another midterm down

My day today consisted of the following: Class from 8-11.  Work from 11-12.  Meeting about India from 12-1.  Studying for a midterm from 1-8:30.  Midterm from 8:30-9:30.  Walk home and start doing the laundry, grab some dinner and then check my email.  And now I am here.  So after about 6 hours of studying I was pretty much convinced that I was going to fail my midterm.  My dispair was visibly evident in the very steps I took as I walked across the atrium of the HBLL to restore circulation to my legs.  I trudged along forlornly.  I caught myself and was tempted to do a summersault, but opted to maintain my dignity in at least one form that evening.  But as the time drew later, my confidence waxed strong, well, maybe not strong, but I started to think that maybe a D would be an option.  

After finishing my review sheet, printing it, and relocating to the testing center for my last half-hour of reviewing my notes, I felt more positive, even if not more optimistic.  Perhaps it was a classmate who stopped by and offered some encouragement.  Perhaps it was that I was too tired to care.  But really, it was probably people watching and getting caught.  The two girls across the hall from me were having a not-so-private conversation that involved one girl asking the other if she had a tissue and the other responding by offering her a used plastic ziploc sandwhich bag from her backpack.  She accepted it.  She looked at it.  Looked at her friend.  And then looked at me.  Our eyes met.  She made some comment and we all laughed and she put the bag away.  I wonder what would have happened if she hadn't noticed me, or if I hadn't noticed her to be noticed.  

I finished reviewing my notes two last times and went up to take the test.  And it wasn't so bad.  I might have gotten a C.  I think I would be overly optimistic to anticipate anything closer to the forefront of the alphabet.  And now, I'm simply relieve to have my first round of midterms behind me.  The second round doesn't start for two days.  But I have a few big assignments to prevent intellectual decay in the two-day midterm famine.  I decided that I need to redesign my study strategies for that class.  I felt promptings to do so a while back but pushed those thoughts away.  Time to improve.  Well, time to finish my laundry and do my reading assignments for tomorrow.  Peace.

2 comments:

robinly said...

This pleases me. I hope that you did indeed get a C and I am glad that your hopes rose. "hordes of hikers cackling insanely...singing raucous songs as they walk arm in arm...girls in pyjamas..There are fat girls in shorts." and "evil genius of the countryside" Thanks you spending your mid-term studying with me. It was much happier that way!

Anna said...

Sometime I wish I could do like Harry Potter and Apparate (or if you're a trekkie Beam myself) to Utah. And then I'd be able to be in your presence and see everything you do. I kind of miss you...Love ya!