It is found in Alma chapter 10. Verses 5-6 are the main ones to focus on, although I appreciate the context offered in the preceding verses as well. And the verses that follow offer greater evidence of and understanding regarding Amulek's liberation.
Alma 10 presents Amulek's first experience speaking in public as Alma's new missionary companion. And he begins his address, to the people in his home town, but trying to establish some credibility. Essentially he says, you know who I am. You know who my ancestors are. I'm good stock. We all tie back to Nephi, Lehi and even Joseph of Egypt together. He references his friends, relations, and business success as contributing to a reputation that they are already aware of. And then it gets good.
Verse 5: "Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power." Then he stops. Period. End punctuation. And then he starts again. I imagine there being a pause between sentences. And that the next sentence is delivered softly. Thoughtfully. "I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people."
So he has an epiphany. He realizes that there is a lot that he has known all along, but he simply didn't know he knew it. So he saw the witnesses, but he didn't know. What mediated seeing and knowing that diverted his potential progression?
Verse 6: "Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of the seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges."
He was called, but he would not hear. He knew, but he would not know. He had hardened his heart. By hardening his heart he was able to tune out to spiritual things. He was not aware of opportunities to exercise his agency. He knew, but he would not know. How often does that happen? How often do we know what is good and right, and yet conveniently push such thoughts or feelings away in hopes of avoiding being accountable for following them.
Amulek was a sleeping spiritual giant. And he allowed himself to be asleep to an aspect of life that could have brought a great deal of peace and purpose and direction earlier on in his life. Granted, it doesn't sound like he was particularly discontent with his life before. He was successful in industry and had lots of family and friends. But when he became spiritually alive, he was so much more free. He became an instrument in God's hands. He was a powerful missionary. Amulek is my hero.
Amulek provides me with hope for those who are spiritually asleep. There are many who know but choose not to acknowledge knowing because its easier. He gives me hope for the parts of myself that are inclined to harden and not hear. Each Independence Day I think of Amulek and I try to find a new area of my life in which I can work to be more awake and aware. I try to identify and escape from the chains I've subtly become ensnared by. And as I work to hear and see and know and do and become, I become more free and have an increased capacity for joy and progress.
Alma taught the principle well in Alma 5:7 and 9:
Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God. Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word; yea, they were encircled about by the abands of death, and the bchains of hell, and an everlasting destruction did await them.
And...they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did bsing redeeming love...
Let freedom ring. Happy 4th of July!
2 comments:
I was looking forward to your fourth of July thoughts. You didn't disappoint :)
I love the scriptures too.
Post a Comment