I received a very kind compliment from a client/the spouse of a client today. I was told, and at several different times throughout a 2-hour session, that I was in the right profession. I was told that I have a "soft spirit"/"soft heart" and yet am "bold in words". I was also told that while this family had been to about 8 mental health professionals, including an MFT several years ago that they were referred to who was allegedly the "best in the state", that I was able to bring about more progress and in a fraction of the time.
And despite the extreme kindness of such comments, that session left me drained and concerned and full of doubts. Maybe I'm just worried that I'm getting sucked into the system; or maybe I'm intimidated to also have been told that several other counselors considered my client "the most complicated and difficult client they had ever seen". I don't know. I feel a lot of weight and confusion. I'm not used to thinking so much or feeling so affected by a case. I can only think of one other case that affected me so much. But I'm hopeful in that that case was incredibly challenging and complicated and turned out extraordinarily well. But still, I feel unsettled.
Well, there is probably something that I need to learn. I hope I can eyes to see and ears to hear, and hands to heal. Oh, the life of a therapist.
No comments:
Post a Comment