I was envisioning my previous (and only other) experience in attending a swing dance. I wen to that dance with my sole intent being to watch a performance. On that occasion I didn't dress the part, came late, tried to look distracted or disinterested by talking to Jeff and Sherry, and tried my best to emit a "I don't want to dance vibe". But somehow that failed. Someone asked me to dance. I did my best to dissuade the young man, explaining that I didn't know how to dance. But he was persistent. So after multiple warnings of how bad I would be, I conceded. I couldn't decide if I felt more sorry for him or myself as we danced...er...I feel like describing my movements at that time as dancing is a desecration to the word. Oh well. Afterwards, Sherry told me that after a few second she stopped watching because she was so embarrassed for me. It was bad. I was pretty much just jumping around awkwardly. It was painful.
So tonight's invitation took my mind back to that experience. And I thought of how much I am not a fan of feeling incompetent and unintentionally looking like a fool in front of people. But I also thought of how, lately, a part of me has really wanted to learn to swing dance. Maybe it was from hearing the awesome jazz music in Princess and the Frog the three times I watched it. I know that my interest intensified when I learned that one of my former mission companions teaches swing. I recall there being a third witness that piqued my interest in learning the skill, but I forget what is was. Besides, good company and having something to do beats working on my literature review alone at home on a Saturday night. Ergo, I swallowed my pride and went.
And it was actually pretty fun. I wasn't good by any means. It was my first time trying. But I enjoyed it and learned a few things. And I had a good and patient teacher. So yeah. I realize that this is a boring post, but I'm excited that I pursued something uncomfortable and had a good experience. Good times.
1 comment:
Disclaimer- I said that I didn't think you wanted me watching you as you learned to dance as it may be uncomfortable/ embarrassing.... not that I was embarrassed of your dancing. That said, I’m glad you went. :) and you rock.
Post a Comment