January 15th each year has been designated as "National Hat Day", although it may be noteworthy to mention that it is not officially a national holiday because it has not been set apart as such by Congress. Nonetheless, it is recognized, at very least, by hatmakers, obscure holiday calendars, and me. I have decided to attempt hosting a social gathering in celebration of National Hat Day. Although I must confess, it is my intention to have this function on Saturday the 16th because that is more convenient for me. I have already begun my research on the subject.
My most notable finding was a story regarding the first top hat, worn by a London haberdasher by the name of John Hetherington, recorded in a journal on 16 January 1797 (perhaps it is more appropriate to host such a party on Saturday the 16th) and later published. According to this article, Mr. Hetherington's choice of headwear was most peculiar and caused a considerable disruption of the peace. "As a matter of fact, the officers of the Crown stated that several women fainted at the unusual sight, while children screamed, dogs yelped, and a younger son of Cornwalder Thomas...was thrown down by the crowd which had collected, and had his right arm broken." It was determined that the wearing of the hat was "calculated to frighten timid people". He was arrested and bond was set at 500 pounds.
Also, I want to try to make this cake:

If I were more skilled, I would try to make this one:

Brainstorming will recommence tomorrow. Also, I need to find a cool hat. Because as much as I love my "I heart Troy" High School musical hat, I'd love just about anything else more.
4 comments:
If you're looking for a children's book to read aloud at your party, there's one entitled "Do YOU Have a Hat?" which highlights a handful of famous historical figures who wore hats. It's both fun and educational!
Sounds like your party will be awesome! I wish I could be there to celebrate with you.
Oh, and what ever happened to your Dick Tracy hat? You could wear that one....
Are we invited?
Hat boxes are one of the best parts about fancy hats. I have one lovely hatbox with a large cylindrical shape, red floral deocration, and a string by which to dangle it from my wrist. Maybe hat box decorating could fill one corner of the party room. =)
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Post a Comment