Friday, August 26, 2011

Simple Joys

I'm becoming more aware of certain little things that make me happy.  Some are things that are new, and some are things that previously took for granted.

1.  Hearing someone call my name on campus.  I ran into someone from the branch on campus on Wednesday.  He saw me first and said "Hi Allison".  I'm not used to people in Georgia knowing my name, so I rarely hear it outside of my apartment or classrooms.  It was nice to feel less like a foreigner in a strange land.

2.  Public transportation.  I love riding the bus.  It reminds me of India a little bit.  It is a fun place to observe behavior and overhear interesting conversations.  I've also noticed that I like sitting in the front so that I can exit from the front doors and thank the bus driver for the ride. 

3.  Magnolia trees.  When I think of magnolia blossoms I think of my Grandma Hadley.  And there are magnolia trees all over campus.  So I see them regularly, think of my grandma often, and smile that much more.

4.  Institute.  It has been a blessing to have Institute and the Institute building.  It is a great home base.  I park there.  I take a few classes.  I attend activities.  I sometimes practice the piano.  It is somewhere to be and something to do with good people.

5.  Discussion-based classes.  I am more of an active learner, so I love that many of my classes are largely discussions based on the readings rather than a uni-directional teacher-teaching-at-us approach.

6.  Good roommates.  I am so glad to have the roommates that I do.  It makes the transition a lot easier.  They are friendly and fun and good.  I've been blessed with a lot of good roommates this year, and it's made a huge difference in my life.

So, moral of the story: There is plenty to be grateful for in my life. 

2 comments:

Receli said...

I love buses, and good roommates... and I have used the institute building at ASU multiple times already!!

Ed and Amanda said...

oh magnolia trees, how I miss them. I am glad you are appreciating GA for all the goodness it has to give!! and I loved your cow story haha