Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I must be lonely/stressed...

My visiting teachers came and visited me tonight. They were well aware of how demanding my schedule is through the conversation surrounding scheduling our 9:45pm visit, and they were thus trying to be brief out of respect for my time. However, I wanted the company, and as they were preparing to take leave, my response surprised even me. Now, I'm a pretty candid person. And I've learned to accept and internalize the verse in Alma 7 that commands to "ask for whatsoever thing ye stand in need". So after the closing prayer I blurted out, "don't go yet". And then I pathetically explained that I miss social interaction with non-colleagues. And then as a testament to my lacking age-appropriate social skills my next sentence was "Can I read you a story?" And then I read The Empty Pot by Demi after obtaining their consent. Bless their souls. I have such great VTs. So now I am alone again in my empty, un-air conditioned home, about to eat the cookies they brought me with a glass of milk about to read more for my behavioral addictions class. Tender.

(Also, I really am not terribly socially deprived. I got to chat with Shan yesterday while studying. I have conversations with coworkers and classmates, supervisors and faculty. I've chatted online with my sister-in-law, whom I adore. Last night I did the racquetball thing with school firned, and I hung out with lots of family over the weekend and even hosted a bridal shower. So I don't know why I feel so needy. )

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Good for you for speaking up--that's what visiting teachers are for! I love when the sisters I visit actually ask me for something, so I'm sure they loved it too. :)

Pat Wick said...

It is 4AM -- couldn't sleep -- so I thought I would check out your blog to learn what you have been doing. I know how busy you are but sometimes we are lonely even with lots of activities we are involved in. Know that you are loved.

Scott and Emily said...

What's a firned? :o)

robinly said...

Number 1: "And then as a testament to my lacking age-appropriate social skills my next sentence was "Can I read you a story?"" REALLY Allison?! Story reading is appropriate for all ages...believe it.

Number 2: I love you!