Also, speaking of my clinical work, most of my relational cases have recently come to a close. Within the past week, and encompassing the upcoming weeks, I'll terminate almost half of my caseload because my clients are doing well and are ready to conclude counseling. It's bittersweet. Mostly it is exciting and sweet because people feel good, have enhanced insight and understanding and are prepared with coping strategies and otherwise feel strong and able to move forward without further therapy. But I must confess that to me there is a slight hint of bitter because I will miss those clients who I have come to know and care about and admire so much. But I'm okay with that.
Friday, June 4, 2010
So I was pondering on a phrase from the scriptures: "mourn with those that mourn...comfort those that stand in need of comfort". As is becoming somewhat typical of me, I thought of how that might apply to me and to my clinical work. And I noticed that despite being fairly similar, those two mandates are also quite distinct. Enough so that the prophet Alma found it necessary to list them separately. And I wondered why it wasn't simply enough to write only the latter of the two. I suppose I assumed it would encompass the first. Actually, I've never really thought about it. But I could see myself thinking that. Anyway, today I was talking to a colleague about theories and change process. And I made a connection between that verse and the need that people have to experience real emotion. People who are mourning need to feel grief. They don't need to be made to feel better. They need to be allowed to feel badly. And the biggest support is to have someone feel those things with them. I fear that a lot of the time my default is to want to comfort or give perspective or in some way offer relief. But depending on the situation, that isn't necessarily the solution. I'm not very good with emotion. I don't access it or stay in it easily. And sometimes it can limit me. So one of my goals is to learn to mourn and to not try to save myself or others from experiencing emotions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is an insightful blog -- thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing your cardigans in September when I come to Utah.
Post a Comment