Early this morning, Kris (aka Sister Ellsworth) left the MTC and took off to Florida. Not-quite-as-early tomorrow morning, Nor (aka Hermana Ellsworth) will will leave home and take off for the MTC. I am so excited for my missionary sisters. I think of them often. I'm so excited for the experiences they will have, the lessons they will learn, the growth they will experience, and the lives they will touch. While I was in the temple earlier this evening, I was thinking back to when I was in the Mesa Temple with Nor in August subjecting her to my overly-energetic scriptural insights, and back in the Portland Temple with Kris and Nor the weekend Jeff and Sherry were married.
And then I realized a neat little tender mercy. (This isn't the one for the book this year, Mom. But don't worry, I have one in mind.) I realized that I was blessed to be with both of my little sisters when they had their mission calls opened. I worded it "when they had their mission calls opened" rather than "when they opened their mission calls" because neither of them were in the same state as their call when it was opened. For Kris, she was in Utah and her call was in Arizona. Rach opened it and read it. I was right there with Kris, cheering her on while she listened via my cell phone. For Nor, she was in Oregon and her call was in Arizona. Stacy opened it and read it. I was sitting right beside Nori in the van driving back to Tigard from riverrafting the Deschutes.
I felt slightly sad when I wasn't able to be there when Kris when through the temple for the first time, or when Nor gave her farewell talk, or when either were set apart. But now I'm realizing how blessed I was and am. I was there with them when they learned of their calls. I was/am able to see both of them the day they report/ed to the MTC. And I'm just thrilled that they are able to have this experience. And I'm excited to write/continue writing to them. So yeah. I love my sisters. All of them, but tonight, my sister missionary sisters especially.


3 comments:
Tell Nor that I love her! I can't believe she is all grown-up and saving souls :)
What a wonderful blog entry, Al. You made my day! We love you.
I LOVE the picture!!!
Post a Comment