Friday, November 13, 2009

Mostly good day

Today was a mostly good day. I got home from campus at around 4:30 and was in a really good mood. I think I was mostly excited about school stuff. My case load is growing and its just exciting to be a therapist and have clients. I'm so jazzed. Even little things like calling to set up appointments is exhilarating. I was also excited to have some plans for the evening. I was going to go up to Salt Lake and see a play with some friends.

But alas, my day was only 'mostly good' because en route to SLC, my car broke down, frustrating my evening plans. My car overheated. And shut off. The gas pedal ceased to function. I was getting slower, and slower, and slower...which isn't good when one is in the middle lane of the freeway. Luckily I was able to get over to the shoulder of the road. And then I called my brother. And let the record state, I love and appreciate my little brother. He drove up to where I was broken down (by Lindon) to help me out. He wasn't able to get the car started, but he sure tried, and I was glad to have him with me. Ultimately we ended up calling a tow truck and now my car is at his place and he's going to work on it tomorrow. Me breaking down to getting the car to his place took just under 3 hours.

As soon as we got back to Provo and had Dan the tow truck man paid and the car unloaded, we went to the GSS singles event. Yes, I went to a graduate singles event with my married, undergraduate brother. He was my ride, and his wife was there. And I won a BYU Snuggie when I dominated at Jumbo Twister there. So it still ended up being a good night.

And, as is usually the case when I have car problems, I feel really blessed that it wasn't worse than it was. I broke down only 15 minutes outside of Provo. It would have been much more difficult to get help and probably more expensive for the tow truck if I'd been further from home. It was still light out when it stopped working. It got dark shortly thereafter, but navigating traffic is much less stressful for me when it is light out. The traffic around me was clear enough that I could get to the shoulder easily. It picked up a little later and I watched and thought of how hard it would have been to switch lanes and get over in my rapidly decelerating care if there had been a lot of traffic zooming by. My brother returned my phone immediately and was able to come and help me out. He was able to identify the problem and offer some hope and was good company. So yeah, if my car had to break down that night, it picked a good time and place. And since I was planning to drive myself to SLC next weekend en route to the airport, it was convenient for this to happen now and not then. It doesn't interfere flights or anything like that. I wasn't pressed to where changing plans was too inconvenient. So I still feel blessed. Today has been a really mostly-good day.

2 comments:

robinly said...

I'm glad you didn't die and that you won the jumbo twister game. You are wonderful!

Pat Wick said...

How exciting that you are a therapist and have clients--I would love to be a little mouse and be observing you at work.

Glad for all the little "tender mercies" you had with the breakdown of your car.