Sunday, November 15, 2009

New hobby

So, it turns out that I love writing letters to missionaries. So I guess that its quite convenient that I have two younger sisters, a cousin and a good friend out serving right now. I started my missionary letter-writing back in March or so when my friend Jacci left on her mission. I met Jacci when I was a missionary. I was serving in Killeen, TX at the time. It was winter. My companion and I were on bikes. On my first night there I'm pretty sure I witnessed a drug deal. Jacci gave us rides in her jeep and went to lessons with us almost daily. She was such a great help to the work. Her support made such a difference. So, when she received her mission call, I decided I wanted to try to return the favor by being a support to her missionary efforts the only way I knew how: I decided to start writing her regularly. Plus I lent her my mission Book of Mormon. I've also written to Jess, one of my favorite cousins as she is serving. And now I'm writing Kris & Nor.

So why do I persist in writing to all four of my missionaries? Well, I loved getting mail on my mission and want to provide that service to those I care about. Plus, I love writing letters. And I love having an outlet for spiritual thoughts. In my life, I've written well over 200 letters to others. I wrote at least 150 as an RA. I wrote at least 25 when I was Laurel president. I've had pen pal correspondence with cousins. In conjunction with the directive to "never suppress a generous thought", I've written a lot of letters of thanks and admiration to people who have blessed my life. I've written missionaries. And confession: when a friend of mine in high school was investigating the church, I'd write her a letter each week detailing one of my favorite Book of Mormon stories. I am a nerd. But in the best way possible.

So I'm excited to be writing again. I'm excited to be serving people I love. And I'm excited to be able to write out detailed thoughts gleaned from my Book of Mormon studies and applied to missionary work. It's a good life.

No comments: