I recall an evening a few years back, in a ward dinner group, when I first saw old-school Batman. It was magical. I specifically remember one suspenseful scene. Somehow Batman and Robin end up magnetically stuck to a buoy in the middle of the ocean with a torpedo from a submarine rapidly approaching them. Then there is the sound of an explosion, the screen goes blank and you're to a new scene, left to assume that the heroes met an untimely end, and yet knowing the movie couldn't possibly end like that. And soon we learn that the heroes survived. And they had this dialogue:
Robin: Gosh Batman, the nobility of the almost-human porpoise.
Batman: True, it was noble of that animal to hurl himself into the path of that final torpedo. He gave his life for ours.
Batman: True, it was noble of that animal to hurl himself into the path of that final torpedo. He gave his life for ours.
Brilliant. And utterly ridiculous. Earlier today I was in a role play with a friend who used to be in that same dinner group. He was the husband and I was the wife in a conflictual couple with a pursue-withdraw pattern. According to our story as we constructed it, he'd come home after 12-hour work days and I would criticize him for being gone for so long and nag him to help out with the kid. He'd then retreat to his office and do more work on the computer, leaving me frustrated and feeling abandoned.
In our role play we talked about some feelings and family of origin influences, etc. And at the end we talked about something we could do in the next week. We decided to try to allow a arsenic-hour grace period where the husband could have some down time before we'd talk.
Being the sharp-minded, analogy-lovin' gal that I am, I shared regarding that Batman scene and said, "Yeah. We can try that. Maybe that half-hour will the be noble porpoise that will save our marriage."
Sometimes, I think I'm funny. And I'm pretty sure I'm right.
1 comment:
definitely funny! :)
Post a Comment