Sunday, October 18, 2009

Castes and callings

So yesterday I was thinking about Hinduism. Now, I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but based on some readings I did while in India, as I understand it, there is equal honor in fulfilling your ascribed duty, be you of a high or low caste. Considering the rebirth cycle and the idea that one in a higher caste likely lived better previous lives to attained that state, makes me question my understanding of the concept, but I'm going to go with it all the same. So as I understand it, a Brahmin who is true to his duty by fulfilling priestly duties reaps equal honor as a Shudra who is true in his duty as a humble laborer. It doesn't matter the prestige of one's position or what is required of them, the honor comes in fulfilling their duty, whatever that might be.

As I was pondering this last night, it made me think of church callings. I think that often there is a perceived hierarchy of church callings, in which some are seen as more prestigious or high-ranking, while others may seem menial, unimportant or unnecessary. It shouldn't feel that way though. Whether a calling seems to be "high caste" or "low caste", it is equally honorable and acceptable as long as a person magnifies their calling. There shouldn't been a hierarchy. Everyone has opportunities to serve and to build up Zion. Everyone is in a position to sustain others and help them to succeed. And everyone can be blessed in doing their part.

Oh, and yesterday was Diwali. Good ol' Diwali. A year ago for Diwali I took the GRE. Two years ago for Diwali I was in India. Good times.

No comments: