Anyway, back to Maynard Dixon's The Forgotten Man. I love it. It was painted around the time of the Great Depression. It depicts a discouraged-looking man. He is sitting alone on a curb, seemingly very small next to that fire hydrant. His shoes look worn. His gaze is downcast and his expression communicates dejection. Behind him are the feet and legs of other passings him by. He is surrounded by people but he is alone. He is probably invisible to them, if noticed at all, possibly judged as just a poor man on the curb. And interestingly, they are invisible to us, likely just assumed to be unaware and busy people who are otherwise blinded to human need.
I can't help but feel that at times that picture is a mirror to everyone at challenging times. At least it has been for me from time to time. Right now might even be one of those times a little bit. And actually, I don't feel sad or lonely at present, but I have recently. But I figure its okay to feel sad and lonely from time to time. But I've never been without hope or gratitude, even in times of discouragement. I learned a while back that joy and sadness are not opposites, nor are they mutually exclusive.
Anyway, its nice to look at this picture from time to time and think, "Yeah, I feel your pain, man, at least a little bit. And its hard to feel alone." And then I want to tell the forgotten man that things will get better. But then sometimes I decide to hold off for a minute. Maybe first I'd sit down by him. We can be alone together for a while. Maybe I'd give him a hug. Maybe I'd talk. Maybe I'd listen. Maybe I'd just be there. And then eventually I'd say something to inspire hope. Because things can get better. They always do. Besides, in retrospect, the hard times are the greatest blessings and teachers.
Anyway, I love this picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment