Monday, June 15, 2009

Today was the final day of my dance class. It was also the day of my dance class final. I now look back on both situations with some tinge of sadness. Sad that it is over. And sad that I performed so poorly. It turns out that I am not much of a modern dancer. I'm not going to lie, there was a part of me that secretly hoped that this class would unearth some hidden talent within me. But alas, such is not to be. Rather, it seemed that the former undergraduate apprehension that prevented me from taking a dance class previously out of fear of it hurting my GPA was justified. I was without a doubt the worst class member. I uncontestably merited the class's lowest grade on the practical final. Even still, it was a positive experience. I learned a few things about myself. For example, I know know that when I am frustrated with myself and concurrently embarrassed, I tend to cast my eyes downward, shake my head back and forth slowly and slightly, smile a crooked smile (the left side going higher than the right) and lift my eyebrows quickly. I did that several times during my final as my feet would stutter, my mind would draw a blank and I would forget my moves or be unable to perform them correctly.

On an unrelated note, I recently discovered podcasts. And I'm quiet a fan. I'm been reawaked to the joy of learning new things by listening to church talks, academic lectures, and interesting facts and stories. It is such a pleasure to be learning new things.

And on another unrelated note, I watched this short film on YouTube a few days ago and absolutely loved it. If you have 16 minutes to spare, it will be worth your time.

4 comments:

Gwen said...

You should check out academicearth.org They post lectures there by professors from fancy schmancy universities with some pretty cool topics. I have listened to a couple of the lectures. They even have full courses up there. It's a good way to pass 50 minutes if you, like me, have to spend 50 minutes once every three days doing all of the dishes you just threw into the sink.

Mel said...

i'm sorry about the dance class. maybe you have a hidden talent in indian cooking...

abigull said...

I LOVE the Validation clip. And I still believe there is a beautiful dancer inside of you, which maybe dances to the beat of a different drummer. :) Keep dancing!! Builds character.

Valerie said...

You didn't tell me you were taking a dance class. But I guess I understand why. You're probably highly talented in fingerpainting, though.