Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Critter Friends


I was worried that I might get lonely in the big room with Gwen away for the week. But, as always, I am blessed in unexpected ways to prevent unwanted isolation and loneliness. My first night alone I was awaken several times to the sound of a squealing sounds, that I can't really describe, but if I were to try to replicate it, the nearest likeness would be achieved by inhaling with a constricted throat. Well, the first few times I awoke to this unnerving sound, I simply recognized it was there, that I was not alone, and attempted a continuation of my slumber. About the third time I heard it, at approximately 5:15am, I decided to do some investigative work. It was sort of like the time a week ago when Priya knocked on my door and beckoned me with such words as "Auntie--torch", prompting me to follower her and shine my light through the bushes to look for the black king cobra she had spotted earlier. Searching my new roommate was similar in that I help my torch in a similar manner and realize in retrospect that it probably wasn't the wiseest move in the world. But, as was the case with the king cobra, I was unable to find the source of the commotion. So I lay back down on my mat with my sheet atop me and listened for the next hour until I got up for the day. I told Mathew about the sound and he said that it was probably a rat. It was probably one of the rats the size of a gopher, like the one I saw while searching for the king cobra.

Anyway, that was night one, and there have been other nights when I have been alone as well. Such as last night. First off, in the middle of the previous day I came into the room to find some bread knocked off a desk and in a crumbly mess upon the floor. My three best guesses for the cause are 1) a gopher-sized rat, 2)the cat that occationally jumps through the window into the room, or 3) a small theiving child. And in all honestly, I hope it was one of the first two. Anyway, I slept through the night, with only the perpetual buzzing and whirring of gnats to keep me company. But, I learned in the morning that I was not alone. So comforting. In addition to the gnats and mosquitoes making their presence known through their buzzing and biting, another critter announced its presence. I heard the rustling of paper and plastic and then a large cockroach crawled out onto my mat. Bless its heart. As much as I appreciate its watchcare as I slumbered, I immediately escorted it outside.

On other occasions I have been visited by daddy long legs, lizards and other spiders in the room. Spiders, lizards and frogs, as well as fish, are no strangers to the bathroom. And outside of walls I am able to see all sorts of wildlife, such as iguanas, chicks, cocks and hens, goats, cows, oxen, birds of many varieties, flies, frogs of all sizes and many insects. It's nice to know that I'm never alone.

No comments: