I have two more words for you. I don't want to overwhelm anyone with too much vocabulary too fast. I am trying to learn two new Tamil words a day myself. So today I will give two more words.
Word #5: Washing Machine: The washing machine in the village isn't exac

tly a machine. It's more like a big rock, and a little rock, and a bucket with soad and water. And dryer: clothesline. I did my laundry this morning. It was quite the experience. The process involves filling a bucket with water with a packet of soap I bought for 2 rupees from Oppa's store on the veranda. I insert my clothes and let it soak for 15 minutes. Then I take an article of clothing, rinse it, put it the small rock and rub it with a blue bar of soap. Then I rub it in. And then it gets fun. I take both ends in my hand, swing it about several times, and then whack it repeatedly on the large rock to knock the water and soap in/through/out? of it. When I finish this process with everything I take my bucket of clothes to the church and use the spigot there to rinse the clothes in the bucket, and then ring them out again, and then I bring it back to the courtyard to hang the clothes on the line. When I hung my clothes up this morning it was sprinkling. So that should be interesting But is was intense, fun, made my back sore, and was a new experience. Some of the novelty of the experience started wearing off about halfway through the load, but then I'd remind myself how fun it is to hit clothes against a rock and all was well. So yeah, washing machine equals big rock. I love my life!
Word #6: Any positive adjective: "Super" If a kid likes your dress, they will point and say "super". When I tell them my name, they say "super". When I teach them a new trick they say "super". It seems to be the only English adjective that the children are familiar with. But hey, as far as I am concerned, that is super.
1 comment:
Lol, it's funny that I worried that you hadn't posted from India and then in two days we get seven posts. I suppose I need worry no more.
Post a Comment