Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Vocab lesson #4

This one isn't terribly interesting, but by defining actual everyday terms, I will be able to use them freely in future posts. And so here I go, defining words that are probably a product of British influence.

Biscuit: Biscuit=Cookie. There are many varieties of biscuit available. Today we found a supermarket, and an entire aisle (out of about 10) was devoted to these snacks. And it is important to recognize the difference between food and snack. Gwen, in a focus group, asked a group of women from a rural village what health products, not including food, they provided for their children. Their response: biscuits and bananas. They are considered snacks, not food. And appearantly, they are considered to be health products, probably because the wrappers claims they are fortified with various vitamins...not to mention substancial amounts of sugar. Most of them taste like vanilla wafers. There is also a variety called Orange Maries which I am quite fond of. And I must confess, there have been days where I have been to lazy to walk into town for meals and have contented myself with a pack of biscuits and a few bananas. Sure they are just snacks...but at least they are healthy!

Torch: Torch=flashlight. I wish they used real torches. That would be a lot more exciting and I'd feel much safer when out in the dark. But lets be honest, considering my track record, I'd likely set my salwar and hair on fire if my torch had an alternative light source from batteries and a light bulb.

Parcel: Parcel=To Go box Or rather, it means to go banana leaf and newspaper wrapping in a plastic bag, or, simpler still, it means to have your meal or order to go. I usually get dinners parcel so that I can be back before dark since I usually forget my torch. I may pick up some biscuits, buns or break at the bakery, bananas or pineapple from the fruit stall, and either omlettes, parathas or a rice meal parcel. But rice meals are messy parcel, so I usually go with the parathas...which are delicious when wrapped around a banana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so fun!

Love
Dad
xxoxoxoxo