Well, this is my first blog entry since arriving in India. I had a wonderful and clever entry all planned out, focused around pictures of the amazing places and people and things here, but I can't figure out how to download the pictures, but hopefully they will be forthcoming. In the meantime, enjoy reading about what I write and know that there are clever and beautiful pictures that will make then much more interesting. Anyway, on to the vocab lesson (even if it isn't a picture dictionary...)
Word 1: Shower. The definition of shower here in India, particularly in Chavadi Purdur, which is my new tropical paradise of a home, is a big metal bucket, a small red, plastic bucket, and cold water from a spigot in the bathroom at the church building.
Word 2: Toilet.
The definition of a toilet here in Chavadi, and likewise in Delhi and Chennai, is a hole in the ground called a squatter. It kind of has the appearance of a urinal that is built in at ground level. No flushing is involved.
Word 3: Toilet Paper.
Same definition as word one, but add "left hand" to the definition.
Word 4: BYU student.
In the village, all the kids (who are absolutely adorable and adoring) call
Word 5: Bed.
A bed here consists of a thin mat atop the concrete floor. My bedding is a single sheet which I brought with me. But there is a great perk. I have a bright green mosquito net (and my roommates have blues and pink) that drape down encasing the mat and have the appearance of being very princess-esqe.
Well, I dare say that that is enough of a vocab lesson for one day.
1 comment:
I love "monster auntie". That's awesome and somehow suits you well. This was a very enjoyable post to read. I'm glad you're safe and wish you the best with everything!
Post a Comment