Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Just because I like this picture...


Okay, let's be honest, I really like this picture of a cute old man that I met in Chennai while exploring the city with Gwen. He and another man were sitting on the side of the street and I said hellp and asked if I could take a picture. He seemed to consent so I did and then I showed him the picture. I love it. But I must admit, I am somewhat conflicted about what picture taking is appropriate. It doesn't exactly feel right to me to go around snapping pictures of people as though they were toursit attractions. Especially since I'm not here to be a tourist. And more especially since I do not want to dehumanize people and see than as things or stereotype them. I am well aware that all those I meet are beloved spirit sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. As I am in the village I figure I can keep my picture taking limited to those I develop relationships with. But I figure I'll have to figure out what I consider appropriate and what I want to do before the world religion survey starts in Novemeber.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

When I'm at Disneyland or some other major touristy place with my family, there is nearly always at least one Oriental family who asks to take a picture with us. They're always amazed that there are so many kids in the family and need photo documentation. I personally think it's awesome/hilarious and am not offended at all.