Friday, August 9, 2013

It's a dry heat

I grew up in the West.  I lived in Arizona from birth to age 18, and then spent the next several years in Utah for school.  I am used to dry, arid climates.  I remember often hearing people speak of the triple-digit heat with the optimistic twist of: "but at least its a dry heat".  I remember often wondering what other kind of heat there was.  I first remember figuring it out on my mission when I walked out of the DFW airport in the middle of June and my glasses fogged up.  I have been reacquainted with that experience and other evidences of humidity over the course of my time living in Georgia.

After several years of experiencing the humidity of the South, I have returned to the West.  I remember trying to describe dry heat to Southerns who were accustomed to the humidity.  My go-to metaphor was to say that it was like being in an oven or having someone blow a hair dryer at you (assuming that it was one of those rare, blessed occasions when there was wind).

Today I decided to do an experiment.  It isn't much of an experiment since I don't have a comparison group and because there are so many uncontrolled variables, but...oh well.  I decided to try out my hair dryer metaphor.  Rather than dry my hair, or leave it in a towel, etc., I decided to go outside and time how long  it would take my hair to dry naturally in the heat.  It was actually my incentive to finally get showered for the day.

And...(drumroll, please)I found that it took between 10 and 11 minutes before I would consider my hair fully dry.   I walked around my neighborhood, mostly in the sun, while the temperature read 104 degrees.  Not too shabby.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You really need to get a job!
J/K, I have said that very thing myself that our breezes are not quite the refreshing thing you think of in a breeze, it's like a blow dryer.
There was no breeze today though, so your hair would have dried faster if there had been one.
Glad you're home!