I'm in Arizona! After approximately 30 hours of driving accomplished over a six-day cross-country journey, I have arrived in Mesa, Arizona.
In honor of my arrival and new beginning, I decided that my first scripture study of this new Arizona chapter of my life should be about arrivals. So, I picked up my Book of Mormon and turned to two accounts that came to mind: When Lehi's family arrived in their land of promise (1 Nephi 18:23-25) and when Jared's family arrived in their land of promise (Ether 6:12-13). I learned a lot of important and applicable principles from those five verses. And I want to share them here.
In Ether 6:12 it says that "when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they..." humbled themselves before the Lord and shed tears of joy because of the tender mercies they had received. I found two things significant here.
1. I find it significant that when their feet touched the shores, they acted. I feel a little bit in limbo right now. I'm at my folks' home, and am welcome to make it my own home for a time, but I anticipate moving out pretty soon when I have an income and find a suitable place. It would be easy to put off giving gratitude, and considering my journey complete until I have a job and a different place to live. But, this verse teaches me that even though I am just setting my feet on the figurative shore here in Arizona, that I have much to give thanks for and am very blessed.
2. I find it significant that they are aware of "the multitude of tender mercies" that they have received at the hand of the Lord. They had a rough journey. They traveled for 344 days in a barge with animals being blown and thrown around. But in all of it, they rejoiced and praised the Lord, and looking back on it, they didn't look at the difficulties or less than idea aspects of their journey, they focused on and acknowledged and gave genuine thanks for the blessings.
In 1 Nephi 18:23, after their many days of traveling, they arrived and "went forth", "did pitch [their] tents" and "did call it the promised land".
3. I find it significant that they went forth. They didn't stay still. They didn't decide to take a break now that they were off the ship. They got to work. It isn't time for me to pretend to be a visitor. I need to go forth and find work, find a social group, find opportunities to volunteer, etc.
4. This kind of ties in with number 1, but in pitching their tents it shows that they were progressing despite an immediate sense of permanence. They obviously couldn't go house or apartment shopping in the wilderness. So they used the resources they had to create a home base and a home. I need to accept my parents' home as my tent for now and allow myself to unpack my car and settle in some.
In 1 Nephi 18:24 we learn that they began "to till the earth" and "to plant seeds". It even tells us specifically that they "did put all [their] seeds into the earth, which [they] had brought from the land of Jerusalem." And it tells us that "they did grow exceedingly".
5. Ether 6:13 and 1 Nephi 18:24 both mention these peoples tilling the earth. I think this can have a lot of applications. As a missionary I was a big believer that before planting the word and inviting people to exercise their faith, that it required "softening the soil" so that they could make a place in their heart. In the since of starting in a new place, tilling the earth might mean preparing myself to interview and apply at jobs. It may mean preparing my resume; it may mean getting a haircut and getting new glasses and preparing something professional to wear to interviews. And it could also mean doing my homework about social and professional opportunities in the area.
6. And then it is time to plant seeds. I can't just prepare and then wait. I need to act. I need to plant seeds. I need to apply for jobs. I need to attend the YSA ward and its activities. I need to send in licensure applications.
7. Going a step further, the line about putting "all" seeds into the earth, and talking about seeds brought from their previous land, makes me think of both networks, skills and education that I gained while in Georgia and applying those things here. As I do so, I believe that my opportunities will "grow exceedingly" and that personally, professionally and socially, I can grow exceedingly here.
In 1 Nephi 18:25 it mentions finding and journeying in the wilderness. They find a lot of things: beasts, cows, oxen, donkeys, horses, goats, wild goats and other wild animals, which are described as being "for the use of man". And they find all manner of ore: gold, silver and copper.
8. I will likely have to journey through some wildernesses as I transition into this new place and this new phase of life. But I believe in the principle of "seek and ye shall find", and that it is often in our wildernesses and our journeys that we learn and grow the most. So, I'm preparing myself to be uncomfortable and to try new and scary things (not inherently scary things, but just doing things where there is a risk of failure is hard for me).
9. And I really appreciate the principle that can be extracted from the list of wild beasts, and beasts of the forest. And from the various kinds of ore. I have a tendency to gravitate towards a certain kind of people when seeking out friends. Let's say that I tend to prefer cows and gold. I am courteous to all beasts, but I may avoid some of the wild ones, or not get to know different ones very well. I may even avoid the horses because I am intimidated by their awesomeness. I may also sort between the gold, silver and copper and stick to what I know. But, all these things are precious. And all the animals listed are for the use of man. Accordingly, I need to appreciate and make use of these opportunities for friends and for growth. So I want to try to get to know all sorts of people, even those that may seem different from me. I know that doing so would be a blessing.
So, those are some lessons learned from those five verses about arriving in a new land. Aren't the scriptures awesome?
In honor of my arrival and new beginning, I decided that my first scripture study of this new Arizona chapter of my life should be about arrivals. So, I picked up my Book of Mormon and turned to two accounts that came to mind: When Lehi's family arrived in their land of promise (1 Nephi 18:23-25) and when Jared's family arrived in their land of promise (Ether 6:12-13). I learned a lot of important and applicable principles from those five verses. And I want to share them here.
In Ether 6:12 it says that "when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they..." humbled themselves before the Lord and shed tears of joy because of the tender mercies they had received. I found two things significant here.
1. I find it significant that when their feet touched the shores, they acted. I feel a little bit in limbo right now. I'm at my folks' home, and am welcome to make it my own home for a time, but I anticipate moving out pretty soon when I have an income and find a suitable place. It would be easy to put off giving gratitude, and considering my journey complete until I have a job and a different place to live. But, this verse teaches me that even though I am just setting my feet on the figurative shore here in Arizona, that I have much to give thanks for and am very blessed.
2. I find it significant that they are aware of "the multitude of tender mercies" that they have received at the hand of the Lord. They had a rough journey. They traveled for 344 days in a barge with animals being blown and thrown around. But in all of it, they rejoiced and praised the Lord, and looking back on it, they didn't look at the difficulties or less than idea aspects of their journey, they focused on and acknowledged and gave genuine thanks for the blessings.
In 1 Nephi 18:23, after their many days of traveling, they arrived and "went forth", "did pitch [their] tents" and "did call it the promised land".
3. I find it significant that they went forth. They didn't stay still. They didn't decide to take a break now that they were off the ship. They got to work. It isn't time for me to pretend to be a visitor. I need to go forth and find work, find a social group, find opportunities to volunteer, etc.
4. This kind of ties in with number 1, but in pitching their tents it shows that they were progressing despite an immediate sense of permanence. They obviously couldn't go house or apartment shopping in the wilderness. So they used the resources they had to create a home base and a home. I need to accept my parents' home as my tent for now and allow myself to unpack my car and settle in some.
In 1 Nephi 18:24 we learn that they began "to till the earth" and "to plant seeds". It even tells us specifically that they "did put all [their] seeds into the earth, which [they] had brought from the land of Jerusalem." And it tells us that "they did grow exceedingly".
5. Ether 6:13 and 1 Nephi 18:24 both mention these peoples tilling the earth. I think this can have a lot of applications. As a missionary I was a big believer that before planting the word and inviting people to exercise their faith, that it required "softening the soil" so that they could make a place in their heart. In the since of starting in a new place, tilling the earth might mean preparing myself to interview and apply at jobs. It may mean preparing my resume; it may mean getting a haircut and getting new glasses and preparing something professional to wear to interviews. And it could also mean doing my homework about social and professional opportunities in the area.
6. And then it is time to plant seeds. I can't just prepare and then wait. I need to act. I need to plant seeds. I need to apply for jobs. I need to attend the YSA ward and its activities. I need to send in licensure applications.
7. Going a step further, the line about putting "all" seeds into the earth, and talking about seeds brought from their previous land, makes me think of both networks, skills and education that I gained while in Georgia and applying those things here. As I do so, I believe that my opportunities will "grow exceedingly" and that personally, professionally and socially, I can grow exceedingly here.
In 1 Nephi 18:25 it mentions finding and journeying in the wilderness. They find a lot of things: beasts, cows, oxen, donkeys, horses, goats, wild goats and other wild animals, which are described as being "for the use of man". And they find all manner of ore: gold, silver and copper.
8. I will likely have to journey through some wildernesses as I transition into this new place and this new phase of life. But I believe in the principle of "seek and ye shall find", and that it is often in our wildernesses and our journeys that we learn and grow the most. So, I'm preparing myself to be uncomfortable and to try new and scary things (not inherently scary things, but just doing things where there is a risk of failure is hard for me).
9. And I really appreciate the principle that can be extracted from the list of wild beasts, and beasts of the forest. And from the various kinds of ore. I have a tendency to gravitate towards a certain kind of people when seeking out friends. Let's say that I tend to prefer cows and gold. I am courteous to all beasts, but I may avoid some of the wild ones, or not get to know different ones very well. I may even avoid the horses because I am intimidated by their awesomeness. I may also sort between the gold, silver and copper and stick to what I know. But, all these things are precious. And all the animals listed are for the use of man. Accordingly, I need to appreciate and make use of these opportunities for friends and for growth. So I want to try to get to know all sorts of people, even those that may seem different from me. I know that doing so would be a blessing.
So, those are some lessons learned from those five verses about arriving in a new land. Aren't the scriptures awesome?
2 comments:
We are so excited for you to begin a new chapter in your life! How smart you are to use the scriptures and "liken" them unto yourself. We have likewise been asking our children to pick a topic (on their prayer day - yes, you know we have enough kids to have them each have an assigned day so they do not fight over praying! LOL) and then for family scripture time we can read and ponder the topic selected. I like how this allows them to bring up questions or topics they want to learn more about! Anyway, glad you arrived safely! You know you always have a place in Georgia and we already miss you! Stay in touch!
Kim
I love your likening the scriptures & love that you are back here! So glad you came to see your old "cow" today, loved catching up, and want to see you often. Good luck settling and love ya like a rock!
Post a Comment