Sunday, July 14, 2013

Gross

Youth Conference is this weekend, and in some ways, preparing for it feels like preparing for Christmas!  Namely, I have to put together a Nephite costume, which reminds me of preparing for the Ellsworth family nativity pageant and dressing up to fulfill my part of throwing rocks and shooting arrows at the Book of Mormon prophet Samuel when he prophesies concerning the sign of the birth of Christ.  I've actually been a little giddy as my roommate has been helping (well...doing all things sewing related) me get my costume together.  And it makes me miss Grandma, my traditional go-to for my Nephite costume-making needs.  I'm excited to see her in a few weeks!

Anyway, as I' was thinking of potential accessories and shoes to go with my costume, I searched for some of my old India shoes.  I have a pair of red camel leather flats that I thought might just be perfect.  I keep them in an old Chacos shoe box in my closet just beyond the ability to reach comfortably.  So I bent over, and reached for them without being able  to see them.  And what I grabbed felt...fuzzy.  I cautiously lifted.  And what I saw initially confused me, and then it kind of disgusted me.  My red shoes were green because they were covered in mold.  COVERED in it.  Even on the bottom of the soles.  I didn't even know that that was possible!  But now I know.  And now, so do you, dear reader.  If you require some evidence, I will now provide you with three pictures of my shoes before I cleaned them.  Yes, I cleaned them and still plan to wear them to Youth Conference.  Because that is the kind of hard-core Nephite that I am.
Keep in mind that this is a red shoe.
This is the bottom of the shoe.  I liked the layers and various shades of green.

What do you think?  Do they look Nephite-y?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is possibly the grossest thing I've ever seen... ewwww!!! but also kind of cool.

Scott and Emily said...

Wow. You and I both had a mold-y day today. I had not one, but TWO!, experiences with disgusting mold in the last twelve hours.

First, someone from the ward wanted to borrow our baby bouncer. It hasn't been used in well over a year, and it's been in storage in our basement since we moved here. I went to pull it out of storage and throw it in the van, and the thing is literally covered in mold. SO GROSS!!! I'm going to have to do some heavy-duty cleaning and disinfecting of that thing before any baby uses it again.

Number two... The missionaries came over for dinner. We were having hamburgers. I pulled out the hamburger buns, which were sitting on the top shelf of the cupboard (I put them there because I needed counter space), and they had literally turned BLUE with mold. Seriously!? So, needless to say, we ate our hamburgers on regular bread.

It has to be the humidity. SO GROSS!!

Marietta said...

Wait! I need to see a picture of the cleaned shoes!