Friday, March 9, 2012

Phantom limbs and Horcruxes

Today is day 7 without a cell phone.  It has been far too long since I have called home, and there have been many people that I would have liked to have been able to get in contact with.  And since I now no longer have an alarm clock or any kind of clock in my room, I have also taken to sleeping on the couch in the living room to ensure that I wake up in time for my daily activities

One of the most interesting aspects of being without my phone is recognizing how frequently I think that I hear it.  Now, keep in mind, my phone is always on vibrate...unless it is on silent.  So I have become quite adept at discerning muffled vibrations.  It  has been a quite frequent occurrence over this past week for me to think that I feel or hear my phone vibrating.  And then I realize that it doesn't exist.  It happens at least twice a day.  I think I feel a vibration in my pocket...oh wait.  I think I hear a familiar buzz...no dice.  It reminds me of the concept of phantom limbs.  My plight is, or course, in no way even close to comparable in intensity to that of a person who has lost a limb, but the idea of feeling something that is no longer present does perhaps parallel the sensation at a much lesser level.


I finally went to acquire a replacement phone.  I will get it on Wednesday.  Until then, I am hoping that I will be able to find someone with an old, unused Verizon phone who will allow me to use it as a horcrux for housing my phone-number-soul.  And while it is not exactly like a horcrux (mostly because I won't be murdering anyone, and partly because my phone number and soul are not the same things...oh, and also because I'm not magic), I would be quite happy to be able to house my phone-soul in that inanimate object.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that neither analogy is very sound or politically correct.  Shucks.  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

You crack me up, Allison! You mean you're not magical?! Also, the first two months of my mission I, too, had phantom limb for my phone. I though it was vibrating in my backpack everyday...weirdest thing. WM!!

Scott and Emily said...

So... I want to know why the ring comes before the diary in the horcrux picture. The diary was destroyed first.