Monday, January 5, 2009

Tender Mercy of the Day

For years I have wanted to take a particular course in my major. I first heard about it through a professor that I enjoyed and respected, and so I kept putting off taking it hoping that she would teach it. But she didn't. So I determined to just take it this semester, this being my last. In planning my ideal schedule, I initially found a place for that course first and worked my other classes around it. But then the section I'd planned to take was cancelled. The only other section was at the same time as the field study prep course, and since I'd been hired on as the India facilitator by the time I registered, I had to consign myself to simply not take the class, and just register for one of the other two courses that would fulfill my one remaining requirement for graduation. Unfortunately, neither of the other class options interested me or seemed relevant to my future academic goals. Plus their books were more expensive.

Well, ever since the India program was suspended and I no longer needed attend the prep course, I have been trying to add the course online. However, the class was filled to capacity. I have consistently checked a time a two a day for the the past month or so, and the frequency of said checking has increased in the past week. But to no avail. I decided to try something new. The add card. It was a little risky since my back-up class was held at the same time. But I figured I'd best act in faith.

Today I attended the desired class. The professor asked all those hoping to add to raise their hands. I was among about 13 students who were attempting to add the class. He asked how many were considering dropping the course. Only one hand was raised. At the end of class he announced that he would extend the class size from 40 to 45 and to return on Wednesday. The odds were against me. And it would be risky to attend on Wednesday and potentially miss a second day of the class I was otherwise enrolled in.

But I was faithful and vigilant. After returning home from classes, I went online to see if anyone had dropped. No dice. And every 10 minutes or so I would return to the webpage and refresh to see if anyone had dropped. Nope. Nada. Negative. Before the fourth or fifth try I opted to say a silent prayer. I did so and then pressed the refresh button. And low and behold: 1 seat available. But not for long. As soon as I offered a silent prayer of thanks I pressed the add button and was officially enrolled for the 5th of the 5 academic classes that I felt would best prepare me for grad school and fulfill my requirements for graduation. So, yeah. I felt blessed. Because I was. And am.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I am glad you were able to add the class. But I didn't eat marshmallows in your honor, although I did eat a Special K granola bar. It was yummy.

Rosalyn Francis said...

k. love your articulation. happy day!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful TM. The best part was that you offered a prayer of thanks BEFORE you clicked "Add." Love you!