Friday, January 2, 2009

Baby duck killers


Tomorrow I'll try to get up some pictures from family vacation, which I have decided to dub the family cowunclen (think Spanish and it will make sense). But in the meantime, I'll share a favorite conversation topic betwixt Nor and I. So there we were, in the midst of a full Disneyland. We were in pursuit of the free hats and noisemakers being distributed for the rapidly approaching New Years celebration. Many had received their goods already, and were trying out their noisemakers. Repeatedly. By the thousands. I temporarily agreed with Nor as she questioned if rather than "the happiest place on earth" this was to be "the most obnoxious place on earth". I decided that the sound of the blowing horns resembled the sound of hundreds of baby ducks. And from that, an idea was born. An idea for an urban legend that I'm pretty sure will never extend beyond Nor and I. The idea was this: We would lean over to the next kid to blow their horn and tell them "Did you know that every time a horn like that blows, somewhere a baby duck dies?" The idea was inspired from good ol' It's A Wonderful Life with the angels getting their wings bit. This was a bit more morbid and fowl...I mean foul, but, oh well. We shared the story with Rachel, who now continues to blow her horn just to spite me. Or maybe she just hates baby ducks. Or maybe its because she likes the idea of a baby duck that is migrating south for the winter falling out of the sky into someone's pizza. I don't know. I think its sad. I say save the baby ducks. So I didn't blow my noisemaker. Did I mention its really late right now and that I'm a little sleep deprived. I think I'm going to wake up later and regret having this be my first post of 2009. Oh well...Oh, and the deep question that Nor and I pondered later that night was this: Would you rather be attacked by a million mute baby ducks, or by one mutant baby duck, if the mutation was to have their voice amplified 100 times its normal volume? Happy New Year.

4 comments:

Rosalyn Francis said...

Thanks for the smile! I choose a million mute baby ducks, since after all, being a mother of young children is like being pecked to death by a duck.

Unknown said...

You are one sick duck!

Anonymous said...

Favorite post ever! Good times, great oldies

Andrea said...

Brilliant! I love it. I'll start spreading the urban legend immediately.