Friday, January 16, 2009

O Cheese


Okay, so I decided that I am determined to try my hand at cheesemaking before tomorrow afternoon when I plan to try my hand at making palak paneer with rice and chapatti.  And fruit lassis.  I heart Indian food.  Okay, so I bought myself an Indian cookbook from Cosco for my birthday.  I love it.  This afternoon I've been reviewing my cookbook recipe and comparing it to a few online recipes.  My favorite of the online recipes listed the ingredients as: 1 Liter of whole cow milk; 3-4 tsp of an acid.  Yum.  Cow milk and acid.  But those really are the ingredients.  Milk and an acid such as vinegar, lemon or lime juice.  I'm going for the lemon juice option.  I'm also opting to follow the recipe in my cookbook, primarily because it uses the word "coagulating" in the description.  Oh, and just for the record, when I asked the Smith's employee if they stocked cheesecloth or muslin, he said he didn't know (but they did).  And he offered the idea of trying an automotive supply store since apparently cheesecloth is used to buff and polish vehicles.  So you can sort of add 'automotive buffing and polishing product' to the recipe right after acid, I guess.  Anyway, I'm excited to become a maker of cheese.  I expect my next Christmas morning experience to be like this as a result.

Confession:  I started this post with "okay, so" to be clever.  As in o + queso.  Because 'queso' is Spanish for cheese.  I think I'm so funny.

4 comments:

C Tam said...

When my little brother was 10 years old, I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up and after thoughtful consideration, he said: Either a cheesemaker or a field research historian. He never did have that "I wanna be an astronaut or firefighter" phase. Too bad he is half your age, Allison, or I would say you two were perfect for each other.

Valerie said...

Love that commercial. Good luck with the acid and cow milk concoction. What would happen if you used goat milk?

emilee said...

I love you. will you send me some? I may or may not eat it.

Andrea said...

Emilee doesn't even like cheese. Don't listen to a word she says.

I think you're awesome, though.