Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Running an errand

So today, amidst my lap top-assisted procrastinating, my attention was heralded by the vibration of my cell phone. I answered the phone, and by the time I closed it again, I had a mission. I logged out of my computer, grabbed my keys, left the apartment, locked the door, and sprinted to my car. I used the sweet keyless entry dealio on my keyring to unlock my car before my arrival. Typically, I was will saunter out to my vehicle, and half-way through the parking lot, I hold the dealio in my right hand, arm fully outstretched before me in a manner than is reminiscent of the Spanish fencing master Inigo Montoya of The Princess Bride when he introduces himself to the 6-fingered man saying "my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" with his blade outstretched before him. Hmmm...now that I think about it, I don't know if I'm remembering that scene correctly...I'll have to check. Regardless, I think of Inigo when I unlock my car. The back of my hand faces upward as I press the cold plastic button. I feel very cool. But not today. Er...I felt cool, sprinting to my car and all, but not in the same way as when I unlocked at a more casual and controlled pace, in a potentially Inigo-like manner.

Anyway, so I dash to my car, start the engine, and take off. My course was set. I was to take State Street to University. So I did. And, since all of my CDs were in my apartment, I listened to the radio. I remembered why I rarely listen to the radio. It seems that it is always either talk or the song Bleeding Love, which I despise, and almost listened too separate times during the 10 minutes I spend in my car. I almost called Em or Nor to share, but decided it wasn't worth having to listen to it. Anyway, I arrive at the parking lot of University Mall. I am tempted to stay in my car because the song "Every Breath You Take" by The Police is coming on, and that is the coding lab's theme song. Tender. But no, I have a mission to fulfill, so I turn off my car, close the door, lock it, and sprint towards Macy's. I arrive at approx the same time as a young mother pushing a stroller. I stop and open the doors for her so that she can pass through without having to do the tricky balancing act of opening and propping open doors with your body while trying to push a wheeled apparatus through. I followed through the doors after she and her child had passed through. She thanked me. I your welcomed her. Then I started walking hurriedly and then I ran some more.

And then I arrived at my designated destination: Allyse's bridal. I'm pretty sure that I've never been inside a bridal store before. There were lots of females, fancy dresses and accessories in there. It could have been frightening, but I was on a mission. I found a store employee and sought their assistance in acquiring (meaning picking up, not buying...) some apparel, namely a wedding dress, which had been purchased and altered for my former roommate, Rachel. I watched as it was retrieved and then put in a dress bag. Then it was given to me. So then I walked back to my car, drove to Rachel's apartment and delivered the goods so that she could take off with it to SLC for bridal shots. I love that girl.

So let's be honest, it wasn't all that interesting of a story...it was just me running an errand. But it still constituted one of the highlights of my day and gives a little bit of insight into my feelings towards unlocking my car and listening to the radio. Other highlights of the day include seeing Nor on campus, learning a little bit about SPSS in Adolescent Development, getting an email from Mel, and organizing pictures and music on good ol' Critter-farm. And dinner group. And studying at the library with Robin. All things considered, its been a pretty good day.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I think you described that scene pretty well. The back of his hand definitely faces upward when he holds out his sword towards the six-fingered man. And it was probably his left hand, but I'm not sure. ("It is the only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right, over too quickly.")

And I almost forgot that you couldn't come to Allyse's Bridal with me because of your conflicting schedule (in other words, India).

Mel said...

once or twice was enough but it was all in vain...ooh you cut me open.