Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More goodbyes and big decisions

So a few weeks ago, two actually, I was offered an assistant supervisor position at my residential treatment center job. And though I'd already decided to quit that job, I was mighty tempted by the offer. The shift was potentially workable into my schedule, I loved the people on the shift, I love the job, and I love feeling trusted. That required a major decision. Should I try to work both of jobs, quit at New Haven or quit at the coding lab? I love both jobs. And both offer experiences and experiences that are beneficial to me both socially and academically. Thus making it a hard decision. Deciding involved counseling with parents, friends, coworkers as well as praying. I decided that I ought not take the position, and put in my two weeks notice the next day. Tonight was my last night at work. It was a little hard side and a little surreal to say goodbye to the girls. But after this past week of school I have found many packets of reassurance that I made the right choice for me. So, for at least a week, I only have one job.

But now I'm faced with another big decision, and it is potentially more difficult to make than the last decision. I was invited to apply for the field facilitator position for the India field study program. I love that program. And I love India. And I would love to go back. And I would love to have another go at research. And I love being in leadership positions. I want to do it, but I don't know if I should. I've been evaluating pros and cons, and currently, the scales are pretty balanced. But give me another day and surely it will swing one way or another for several hours before swinging back the other way. I'll decide within the next few days if I will apply or not. And if I do, and if I'm offered the position, there will be a lot more to do, namely, work on a research proposal in time to apply for a grant, and fulfill associated job responsibilities. Also, if I do, I would be going back to India next summer and then graduate in August.

If anyone has any ideas, opinions or advice regarding the matter, I'd love to consider it.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm curious about your specific pros and cons. Feel free to e-mail me a list, and I will review it and then respond with my feedback. Yay for big decisions.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize until I read your blog that it pushes graduation back to August. That adds one more con.