Thursday, October 24, 2013

Phone Interview

Today I had a phone interview for a potential online teaching position.  This may have been my first experience with phone interview.  I liked it.  I like that there was less pressure to worry about looking professional.  And I liked that I was able to decide where I wanted to be when I took the call.

I wanted to feel at ease and yet professional, and I felt like both dress and setting could potentially contribute to that.  So, relative to dress, I wore something that I would have worn teaching (which is a setting in which I probably feel most myself)  back in my BYU days.  So I wore slacks, a nice top and cardigan, and flip-flops.

As for setting, at first I was thinking to talk on the phone sitting in my car.  If offered privacy, it was familiar and comfortable, I was able to be in the driver's seat.  But when I called in, my interviewer was still interviewing another applicant, so I had a few minutes to wait.  And then an idea came to me.  Maybe it would be fun to take the call down at the barn.  So I crossed the cattle guard, walked down the lane, and looked for a good spot.  And immediately I saw the tractor.  And I realized, it wasn't going to get any better than that.  So I sat on that tractor and waited for the call to come.  And about a minute later, it did.

But, it wasn't quite as brilliant of an idea as I thought.  You see, the tractor is currently right next to the chicken coop.  And, the chickens seem to like attention.  One of the hens kept on clacking rather loudly.  So, a few minutes into the interview I opted to relocate and sat near the canoe over by the horse barn.  And so I spent the next almost 30 minutes sitting there as I responded to the interview questions, my favorite of which was "If you were in a circus, would you be a ring master, a tightrope walker, a lion tamer, or a clown?"  Good times.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Epic! I am curious about your answer... and why?

Unknown said...

P.S. This is Nori

Scott and Emily said...

Seriously. What was your answer?

Sherry Ellsworth said...

My guess is a lion tamer

Liz said...

I would choose Lion Tamer. Absolutely.

sophies_totebag said...

I'm curious about the answer as well. :) What did you say?