So, here's a little-known fact about me: I consider myself a Phoenix Suns fan. And have for years. I was recently thinking about my history as a Suns fan, and figured that it was worth recording.
I think that my interest in watching the Phoenix Suns started as a result of loving spending time with my grandparents, and loving being fed milkshakes, graham crackers with homemade chocolate frosting, popcorn, and other goodies at their home. You see, my brother was a fan before I was, and he would get to go next door on game nights and watch the game on television with my grandparents. Grandpa would be in his chair watching the game, and grandma would spend some time in the kitchen preparing delicious foods to serve us (and to try to fatten Jeff up). I loved everything about it. I loved being with my grandparents and my brother, I loved the sweets, and I soon loved and was very loyal to my Suns.
In fact, I learned a lot about prayer through my experience as a Suns fan. I remember always wanting to Suns to win, or to break 100 points, or in some other way excel. And I would often find myself silently praying that they would win. Apparently I had a solid testimony of prayer by age 9. Well, at some point during my basketball-watching years, I remember having an epiphany: What if some other fan is praying for the other team? Whose prayer does Heavenly Father respond to? I started to wonder if it was a numbers game--did the team with quantitatively more fans praying for them have the edge? Or was it a qualitative thing? The team with fan praying harder and more faithfully? (Don't worry, I knew that talent and hard work factored in too.) Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I needed to change what I was praying for. So I started praying that my Suns players would be able to play to their best abilities according to their talents and efforts. I figure that being a Suns fan taught me some pretty valuable lessons about prayer at a fairly young age.
I still root for the Suns. Over the break I liked their facebook page so I could enter a drawing for free tickets to a Suns game and won. So my dad and I attended a preseason game together while I was in Arizona for Christmas break. And since then I've been following the team and their stats. If I hadn't had a class this past Monday night, I probably would have bought cheap tickets and driven to Atlanta to watch the Suns beat the Hawks, but alas, school comes first.
Anyway, moral of the story: I'm a Suns fan. (Even though they are having a bad season.)
I think that my interest in watching the Phoenix Suns started as a result of loving spending time with my grandparents, and loving being fed milkshakes, graham crackers with homemade chocolate frosting, popcorn, and other goodies at their home. You see, my brother was a fan before I was, and he would get to go next door on game nights and watch the game on television with my grandparents. Grandpa would be in his chair watching the game, and grandma would spend some time in the kitchen preparing delicious foods to serve us (and to try to fatten Jeff up). I loved everything about it. I loved being with my grandparents and my brother, I loved the sweets, and I soon loved and was very loyal to my Suns.
In fact, I learned a lot about prayer through my experience as a Suns fan. I remember always wanting to Suns to win, or to break 100 points, or in some other way excel. And I would often find myself silently praying that they would win. Apparently I had a solid testimony of prayer by age 9. Well, at some point during my basketball-watching years, I remember having an epiphany: What if some other fan is praying for the other team? Whose prayer does Heavenly Father respond to? I started to wonder if it was a numbers game--did the team with quantitatively more fans praying for them have the edge? Or was it a qualitative thing? The team with fan praying harder and more faithfully? (Don't worry, I knew that talent and hard work factored in too.) Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I needed to change what I was praying for. So I started praying that my Suns players would be able to play to their best abilities according to their talents and efforts. I figure that being a Suns fan taught me some pretty valuable lessons about prayer at a fairly young age.
I still root for the Suns. Over the break I liked their facebook page so I could enter a drawing for free tickets to a Suns game and won. So my dad and I attended a preseason game together while I was in Arizona for Christmas break. And since then I've been following the team and their stats. If I hadn't had a class this past Monday night, I probably would have bought cheap tickets and driven to Atlanta to watch the Suns beat the Hawks, but alas, school comes first.
Anyway, moral of the story: I'm a Suns fan. (Even though they are having a bad season.)

No comments:
Post a Comment