Sunday, February 5, 2012

100 Traits

When I was 14 I made a list of 100 traits I desired my future spouse to have.  I told my roommates about my list, and showed it to them (I keep a copy of it in my scripture journal) and we decided to make updated lists.  So, today at 2:00, we went out on the roof of our apartment and wrote our lists.  I will share mine below.  Just for the record, these are desired traits, not mandatory traits.  I don't expect a perfect partner.  My non-negotiables list is actually quite short.  Furthermore, this is not in any meaningful order.  Also, when thinking of what I want and what is important to me, I first thought of the traits I admire in my dad, grandpa and brother.  They are pretty rad.  Also, I decided to choose five to focus on further developing in myself during this coming year.  They are the ones with the asterisks.

  1. Honors covenants
  2. Respects women
  3. Hard-working*
  4. Can weld
  5. Intelligent
  6. College-educated
  7. Witty
  8. Kind
  9. Patient
  10. Forgiving
  11. AR (7)
  12. PM (7)
  13. D0 (6)
  14. WM (7)
  15. RW (8)
  16. CO (7)
  17. LR (6)
  18. PR (8)
  19. Attends temple regularly
  20. Magnifies callings
  21. Ambitious
  22. Interested in thoughts and experiences of others
  23. Interesting
  24. Outdoorsy
  25. Eagle scout
  26. Active
  27. Good
  28. Genuine
  29. Obedient
  30. Loves the Lord
  31. Loves me
  32. Makes people feel funny
  33. Tall
  34. Athletic (recreationally)
  35. Loves learning and thinking
  36. Healthy
  37. No axis II disorders
  38. Quick to smile and laugh
  39. Leader
  40. Good learner/follower
  41. Manly
  42. Works well with others
  43. Best friend
  44. Nice smile
  45. Firm jawline
  46. Good handshake
  47. Wears ties to proper length
  48. Loves missionary work
  49. Doesn't watch much television
  50. Virtuous
  51. Accepting
  52. A little tacky
  53. Quirky
  54. Reverent
  55. Thrifty
  56. Trustworthy
  57. Loyal
  58. Good father
  59. Authoritative-style parent
  60. Direct communicator
  61. Thinks I'm funny, smart and interesting
  62. Brings honor to his name
  63. Heterosexual
  64. American
  65. Kinda scrawny
  66. Economically stable (potential to be)
  67. Enjoys kids
  68. Playful*
  69. Returned missionary
  70. Wants to serve couple missions
  71. Can fix things
  72. Good dutch oven cooker
  73. Safe/good driver
  74. Loves the scriptures
  75. Musical
  76. Suns fan
  77. Man of integrity
  78. Doesn't want indoor pets
  79. Honors priesthood
  80. Loves to travel
  81. Cultured
  82. Cowboy-esque
  83. Doesn't want to own PG-13 movies
  84. Serves others
  85. Doesn't view pornography
  86. Not a video gamer
  87. Appreciates nature
  88. Nerdy
  89. Will buy a piano for our home
  90. Authentic/real
  91. Trusting
  92. Not critical*
  93. Helps me be better
  94. Soft heart
  95. Faithful
  96. Grateful*
  97. Literate
  98. Low maintenance
  99. Appreciates/tolerates thrift store shopping
  100. A safe presence* 

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love your list!! I particularly love that you still code...Nice work! And #37, No axis II disorders made me laugh out loud! You are rad and I miss you!

Alicia said...

No offense to cowboys (or cultured people), but 81 and 82 don't seem completely compatible, at least on the surface. I look forward to meeting your cultured, cowboy-esque husband, though. Good stuff. :)

C Tam said...

I remember in marriage prep class at BYU being told to make the "future spouse list" divided into thirds: MUST HAVE, WOULD LIKE TO HAVE, and MUST NOT HAVE. I think you have all those categories...Next time you re-do the list, maybe you can organize it with those 3 subheadings for my viewing pleasure. =)

justine.rae said...

such a great list, especially the rated scales. you're awesome! I hope your PhD is coming along well!

Marietta said...

I laughed out at No axis II disorders... um of course! I just thought that was a given, maybe I should add that to my list. Also heterosexual was great... thanks fro reminding me of the basics.

Unknown said...

What do those codes mean? And I love number 37, hahah