Monday, December 6, 2010

Study ritual

As previously alluded to, I have an interesting study ritual. In my parenting class I teach a lesson covering the use of routines and rituals. It inspired me to start a ritual to add meaning and structure to my thesis work in hopes of making the task less aversive.

Somehow, I decided that to ritualize my thesis work, I would weak a piece of fake bling (a pendant resembling a dollar-sign on a chain), acquired from a dollar store years ago, whenever working on my thesis. Putting it on is preceded by listening to a particular style of music. Thus far, this ritual has worked quite well for me, and after such study sessions as the one pictured above, my thesis is out to my committee and I hope to propose soon. Generally, the ritual does not require further wardrobe changes, but sometimes, it's fun to go all out. I like to consider it my way of "putting the 'stud' in 'study'".

One of my roommates already had a study ritual in place that consists of her only studying when she is at home, sitting on the couch, wearing sweats. The other, after hearing the concept of a study ritual, decided to build a study fort in which to do her studies. That lasted several weeks but has since died out.

I love applying the things I learn in school

4 comments:

Sherry Ellsworth said...

you rock.

Ashley Seil Smith said...

I just love you.

Valerie said...

Nice bandana.

Anonymous said...

I understand the need for study rituals. I listened to a particular type of music and sat at a particular place in my house when I wrote my dissertation for my doctorate. Good luck you as you enter into your doctoral studies. The rituals will help.