So I have a date for this Saturday. I’m being set up with a roommates’s brother’s friend. I don’t think that I’ve ever been on a blind date before. So I’m slightly nervous, but definitely low level. Here are some reasons why:
Numero one: There will be three couples, which equates to six people, only five of whom aren’t me. Of those five, the only one I know at all is my roommate’s brother. Which means there are four people, including my date, who I don’t know at all. So that makes me a little nervous because sometimes when I’m around people I don’t know I have a harder time being myself. Plus I’ll have to be on top of my game to learn the names of several people at once.
Number dos: We’re going hiking. Which is awesome. I love hiking. I love nature. I love being outdoors. But here’s the deal: I’m a wuss. A weakling. Long hikes lead me to resemble the big, bad wolf in that I am inclined to huff, and puff, and blow doors down. Okay, maybe not the last one. Actually, definitely not the last one. But the huffing and puffing…might be embarrassing. If we were griffing and dorfing…okay, I’m not funny. But I am. So funny. But yeah, there is the slight concern that I’ll end up experiencing mild pain in my legs, lungs and side, and that I will be a hindrance to the progress of the excursion.
Numero three: I have an inclination to be awkward in social encounters at times. I’m not always the witty, insightful and charming conversationalist that I would like to be. So part of me fears being awkward. It’s been known to happen. It could happen again. Let’s be honest, it will happen again.
But still, with a better perspective, all of these concerns can be opportunities for goodness. It will be great to meet people and have enjoyable social interaction with several new people who are sure to be fabulous. I’m excited to go hiking and see waterfalls and be in the snow and the mountains and to be getting some much needed exercise. And I’m grateful for an opportunity to re-remind myself that I’m not as socially inept as I often think myself to be. But yeah. Good times. I’m excited.
6 comments:
Just a small piece of advice about hiking. Try not to fall down with a backpack on and get pinned underneath it. Not that that's ever happened to you. On a 4th year Girls Camp hike. Or anything like unto it. But just try to keep it in mind.
Have fun!
P.S. In case you've forgotten about this incident, yes, it did happen to you on our 4th year hike. You can delete this comment if it embarrasses you. Love ya!
whatever you do, make sure you pee with your back to the wind, otherwise you could have a serious disaster on your hands. ps I love you
I love that you wrote a blog about this. And I think you'll have fun. Joseph is nice and hangs out with nice people, so your date - whom I do happen to know - will be nice too. (At least, I'm 75% positive he quit his axe-murdering ways last semester, so you're golden.) Hiking will be fun. Embrace the wonder of nature! Or if it's easier, just hug a tree. Or a rock.
How did it go?? And FYI, I laughed out loud at the "griffing and dorfing". Loved it. Love you. You rock.
Sounds like your date is over, but do say that I think Emilee's advice is priceless.
whatever. you have blown down at least three doors that i can remember. it's kind of an expensive ordeal, i wish you would cut that out.
Post a Comment