This week at BYU is Choose to Give week. I don't know a lot of details, but essentially it's an opportunities to students to give back. And all of the money that is contributed goes directly to other students in the form of scholarships and mentored learning programs. It's pretty much amazing.
Last week I was reflecting on the idea of giving back to BYU. I was walking from the JFSB towards the Bookstore. As I walked behind the library I looked over at the Kennedy Center and thought of how much I would love to contribute to the India program. And then how I would like to give to the School of Family Life. And then other research and learning opportunities. And it occurred to be that donating to BYU would be like helping to fund a superhero training facility. I guess I have a lot of confidence in BYU grads to really make a difference in the world. I feel like invested students who come to learn can really become powerful instruments to make a difference in their communities and in the world. I want people to be able to do that and to become what BYU provides students with the ability to become.
Anyway, I'm choosing to give. And hopefully someday I'll be well enough off to give a lot more. And I'm even volunteering with the campaign. Today as I volunteered I gave a little bit, I gave others a little bit to give (allowing them to take the free donuts provided for givers), asking them to pay me back by contributing to the campaign later when they had money with them. Oh, and somehow, in my soliciting for student donors, I ended up with a lunch date for tomorrow. Truly, in giving I receive. Although, if I had been on top of my game, I would have proposed packing lunches and putting the lunch money towards helping students. Oh well.
2 comments:
You are just a hot commodity, my dear.
Oh I love you. You make me feel better about having to volunteer with C2G. And I'm jealous that someone other than me gets to go on a hot date with you.
Post a Comment