Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy 105th


If Dr. Seuss, aka Theodore Seuss Geisel were still alive, he would be 105 years old today. Which means that he is roughly 8 years older than the state of Arizona. Anyway...I'm a big fan of literacy, of children's books, and of good ol' Read Across America Day, which falls on or around Dr. Suess' birthday. So, to commemorate Dr. Suess and Read Across America Day, I'll list some of my favorite children's books. And I'm going to limit it to lower level books, rather than including chapter books.

Stephanie's Ponytail
Paperbag Princess
Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type
You Are Special
Daughter of a King
Love You Forever
The Wretched Stone
The Empty Pot

And just because it was on my mind earlier...why does the story of the Princess and the Pea exist? Seriously. What's that about? Why does a prince really want to marry someone just because they are so delicate that a pea under 40 mattresses makes their back black and blue. Even if that does indicate that they are a true princess, that is just ridiculous. How did the rain not make her dissolve or break through her weak frame. Again, Paper Bag Princess is one of my favorite princess stories. She has character, is tough, and is rational enough to know what fairytale elements don't necessarily ensure a happily ever after. End of rant. Read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog.
Fantastic pictures.

Please visit:
http://bali-digitalworld.blogspot.com

Keep blogging.
Good luck

Alicia said...

Those are all awesome books, I must say. And did I ever tell you that Gracie is in love with "Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type"? She is. For a while there, we were reading it so often that if we paused, she could fill in the next few words. I thought you, more than anyone else, would appreciate knowing about this.

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

"your hair is pretty and your clothes ar neat. but you are a bum. and they didn't get married after all."

I love it!!