Last semester, while I was in India, the branch in the village was planning a branch activity. It was first and foremost a Relief Society activity, but after the short program to the sisters, there was fun and games and delicious food for everyone. Preparation for the activity was an all-day activity as several women came and sat together on the floor of the one-room church building to make the chapatti and rice and gravy. That afternoon Matthew, the branch president, and only active Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the village, and host to the BYU students came and asked me to speak at the activity. The topic I was asked to speak on was the history of the Relief Society.
I tried to think back on all that I had learned and heard. I was somewhat limited in resources that would help me have information on the topic. I couldn't just get on the internet, because the nearest internet cafe was a 15 minute walk, a 45 minute bus ride, and another 15 minute walk away each way and I didn't have that much time. I'm sure that I said a prayer. And I began to brainstorm. I remembered Emma Smith being the first RS president. I thought I recalled it having to do something with helping with the temple-building efforts. I'm still not sure if that is right. And then I thought of principles of sisterhood and service and ways that the Relief Society had blessed my life. But that was really another student's topic to speak on. I felt bad that I didn't have more historical data.
Anyway, the time of the activity came and it was wonderful to see the faithful branch members as well as the village members who were not of our faith who showed up. Geeva, the RS president conducted the meeting, and I believe that was all done in Tamil and that Matthew translated for the BYU students. I know that he definitely translated from English into Tamil during the talks. I was announced as the first speaker after the prayer. I was a little nervous, but very excited. It was such a neat feeling to recognize that these Tamil women really were my sisters in the gospel and to be able to share this time and my testimony with them.
One of the sisters offered the opening prayer. During the prayer, I had something come into my mind. It was a date. March 17th, 1842 to be exact. The date of the organization of the Relief Society. And somehow, I knew that that was right. I knew that it came from the Spirit. And so, when I presented, I was able to say that the Relief Society was organized on that day. Perhaps having the date added some credibility or in some way was beneficial for the sisters and other present people to hear. But even if it made no difference to them, it made a difference to me. It was a testimony to me that the Lord knows the Relief Society's birthday. And he knows me. And he knows and loves those wonderful saints in Chavadipudur.
2 comments:
I am soooo proud of you!! Thanks for sharing the details. I remember the pictures of this occasion that you brought home with you.
What a neat story, Allison! Such a cool experience!
Post a Comment