Monday, February 25, 2008

Procrastination Karma

I came up with a theory while in India called 'procrastination karma'. In essence, it is that seemingly inevitable and universal principle dictating the someday, somehow, if you have procrastinated, it will catch up to you. I experienced this in the village. I put off my most important interviews until the last few week...during which time either my roommate or translator were sick or else weather prevented the translator from coming. Procrastination karma. I learned this lesson again in McLeod and Delhi...when illness of classmates led to our trip being suddenly cut 11 days short...before I could complete all the big cultural proofs which I had reserved for the time I anticipated spending in those areas in India. Procrastination karma.

I feel like I am presently going through a phase where years of bad karma are catching up with me. In my high school and early college years, I'd dare say that I could be considered a slacker or procrastinator, or, if you will, proslackinator. I have since repented of my ways and dedicated myself more fully to an active pursuit of learning in my education. Still, that doesn't mean that I can always keep up.

These past several weeks have potentially been some of the busiest I've experienced, filled with quizzes, a final, midterms and papers. Nothing which is uncommon to college students, but has been harder to balance for some reason. Maybe its because I work 15 hours a week in addition to a full class load with several upper level classes, plus half of last semester's class load still handing over me. I don't know. But for some reason, college life is more demanding than I remember it being.

I typically spend about 10 hours of the day on campus either attending classes, working or doing homework. Then I go home, attend dinner group and either do something fun (I believe in balance, including a healthy degree of sociality...especially since I have learned that after about 11 consecutive hours of focused productiveness my brain can no longer focus and produce anything of quality)or else attempt to continue my studies. Some days I stay up late or get up uncharacteristically easy. And I always at least intend to. But somehow, it is never enough to get everything done.

I feel like I'm managing to keep up in my current classes, although just barely, but I'm not keeping up on the coursework from last semester which also needs to be completed and turned in. It's hard to squeeze in all the work hours. I'm supposed to present in a conference and don't know when I'll have time to prepare. It's kinda rough.

But, oh well. I'll just keep on doing all that I can. If I am diligent in doing thing the right way, maybe the good karma will kick in and help me out. But for all the procrastination karma I know myself to have built up...it could be a while. Well, since I'm technically procrastinating right now, I'd better put an end to the bad karma-producing and get to work. But first, here is my To-Do list for today and tomorrow. No biggie. Just a typical two days in the life of a college kid. But here they are:

-Write introduction of research paper & time log for IAS (due 5:30 today)
-Find 10 sources & write annotated bibliography & article critiques(due 8:00 tomorrow)
-329 readings (due 9:30 tomorrow)
-Assignment #4 (due 9:00 Wednesday)
-Critical Essay #1(due 5:0 Wednesday)
-Work (3 hours daily)
-Inquiry Conference abstract and reports and prep (past due)
-Religion coursework; paper and coding (past due)

Today's plan:

2:00-3:30 Introduction
3:30-5:30 Find and critique sources
5:30-6:30 Class
6:30-6:50 Travel from class to home
6:50-9:30 FHE in America Fork/dinner/travel time
9:30-11:30 Finish critiques and bibliography/scripture study
11:30-6:40 Sleep

Tomorrow's plan:

7:00-8:00 Get ready for the day/329 readings
8:00-9:00 Class
9:00-9:30 Finish readings
9:30-11:00 Class
11:00-12:00 Devotional
12:00-3:00 Work/lunch
3:00-7:00 Homework/Study (assignment #4, critical essay #1, readings, etc.)
7:00-7:30 Dinner group
7:30-10:00 Temple
10:00-11:30 Homework/scripture study

So...no rest for the wicked! Hopefully some day I'll not only keep up but have enough time to catch up. But if not...I'm still blessed and life is good. I genuinely LOVE the things that I am busy with. This is, thus far, and by far, my favorite semester. I love my classes. I love my job. I love the time I spend with family and friends. I love my ward and roommates. It's a great life.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Man, you're busy! This is mean to say, but it makes me glad I've already graduated! That's great that you're enjoying your life, though, and the work you're doing. I'll pray for you to be able to do what you need to. :)