I need to think. And to think I need to write. And so I write. I just returned to the computer lab from meeting with Dr. Forste, my Sociology 111 professor, and chair of the Sociology department. As ever, I am trying to figure out my future so as to orient my present in that general direction. I approached this particular semester in school figuring that I need to proceed as though I anticipate seeking a post-graduate degree after I finish my undergrad. I narrowed my graduate program options to the two that held the most appeal: Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) and Sociology. I'd never taken a course in either and wasn't entirely sure what either were about.
So, I enrolled in introductory courses for both. My MFT 330 class included an assignment to write a letter of intent to the grad school of my choice and to have the letter reviewed by a faculty member. I opted to have Dr. Forste be my reviewer so that I'd have an excuse to talk to her about what sociology has to offer and in hopes of building a relationship there. One of my new years' academically-oriented goals is to develop better relationships with professors which will lead to research experiences and/or qualified letters of recommendation.
Anyway...she was very helpful in giving me some direction in regards to how to improve my letter of intent. I will soon revise and reformat my existing draft and have it on file. My meeting with her also pointed me more fully towards MFT as the graduate program of choice. Which surprised me. For the past week I have been favoring that program because it seems to synthesize my interest in research with my interest in working directly with individuals and families. However, sociology as a discipline appeals to me more. Now, for reasons I can't entirely place, I feel a lot better about pursuing MFT after graduation.
Granted, I worry that I would not likely get accepted into BYU's program. But I want to go to BYU. They have a great program and it is a thesis program. Many accredited MFT programs do not involve research. ASU is an example. But I really do want both elements (research and clinical training) to be part of my education. Which means if I want to get accepted to BYU, I need to improve my grades and get more relevant experience that will help distinguish me among other applicants. Dang.
I was considering adding a Sociology minor as well. Or potentially doing another international field study or an LDS Employment internship. After talking to Dr. Forste and my academic adviser I feel settled about not committing to a minor, but to instead take a few relevant courses. Dr. Forste recommended taking statistical analysis courses, which don't really appeal to me, but I can see how it is a 'necessary evil' and will make me more marketable for positions as a research assistant and to be able to get started on a thesis. My heart still calls for international adventure, and I want to still hold it as a possibility, but chances are I will seek more local research and internship experiences. But who knows.
Anyway, life is good. I have three exams this week that I need to be preparing for, and some major assignments are rapidly approaching as well. And I have been neglecting my India research, so I need to get back on track with that. There is always plenty of good things to keep me occupied. I kinda wish that there were more days in the week and hours in the day so as to get them all done.
1 comment:
Look at you, Allison--"all grown up and savin' China!" Ok, well maybe not, but I can tell you've learned and grown so much from your amazing experiences. Good luck with the decisions you have ahead, and I know you'll do great. Love ya!
Post a Comment