Saturday, July 4, 2020

I'm Proud to Be An American Even When I'm Not Proud of All of Its History


Happy Independence Day! I am grateful to be an American. And to the extent that I and my fellow countrymen live consistent with the ideals that this nation is predicated upon, I can also claim to be proud to be an American.

I have long been drawn towards the Lee Greenwood song, God Bless the USA which includes in its chorus the words, “I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free….” Prior to this year, I have never thought to call that pride into question. However, as I have been exposed to and considered different voices and stories, I can now see where many may not identify proudly or even positively with America. For many, their experience of American life and their exposure to certain realities within its history are more likely to invoke pain or shame to the extent that those experiences are not consistent with the promise of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

One friend, who I know to have great empathy for those who are oppressed, expressed, “I am feeling a little less patriotic this 4th of July. I acknowledge the massive amount of freedom and privilege I have been awarded by just being born in this country. I do, also, recognize the deep amount of pain and denial we carry.” I assume her comments are largely in reference to the pain of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color) who have been raising their voices in protest to racial injustice and shedding light on systemic racism and on the glorification of historical figures who could be identified as oppressors as well as liberators. 

Earlier today I watched a video of descendants of Fredrick Douglass reading and commenting on a speech titled “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?” which was originally delivered by Fredrick Douglass in 1852. I had never before considered the perspective and experience of a Black person on the 4th of July. And I can see where many familiar with Black history in America would not associate that date with freedom and would not perceive many of the founding fathers as virtuous or honorable. 

For individuals who are descendants of people who were enslaved during the formation of the United States of America, and throughout the century that followed, the date July 4, 1776 would not have represented liberation, independence or freedom. Rather, it would serve as a reminder of a time in our history when people who looked like them, and people who are related to them were treated as subhuman and denied human rights and dignity. I hope that I can mourn with those that mourn the reality of this history and of its effects today.

Nonetheless, I continue to rejoice in America. I recognize that there are significant faults, both past and present, but I still believe that it is a great land of liberty and that a loving God was instrumental in its ongoing establishment and preservation.

I have recently been reading a little bit about George Washington. I started by reading a 2005 forum address by biographer David McCullough. He mentioned that General Washington’s decision to turn back his command of the military to Congress after the war is “one of the most important events in our entire history”, and that when England’s King George III heard that Washington might do so he said, “if he does, he will be the greatest man in the world”.

In an attempt to learn more about that unfamiliar-to-me act, I sought out additional information online about the event and eventually read Washington’s Address to Congress Resigning his Commission as found in the National Archives.

As I understand it, Washington’s act of resigning his commission was so highly revered because he possessed near-absolute power but chose to not retain or exploit that power. He could have elevated himself. He chose instead to trust the system that had been established and, like Cincinnatus, to return to the farm and assume the role of humble citizen. In doing so, he honored what his soldiers had fought and died for.

I find it significant that George III did not say “if he doesn’t [give up control of the military], he will be the greatest man in the world”, rather, he said, “if he does”. This to me acknowledges what true greatness is and suggests the kind of greatness that America aspires to. It is not dominance, conquest and power that makes America great, but virtue, brotherhood and faith.

In reading and rereading Washington’s resignation address, I am impressed by his humility. This humility includes reference to the hand of Deity. He acknowledged his self-perceived inadequacy, or “diffidence”, but noted that it was “superseded by a confidence in the rectitude of our Cause, the Supreme Power of the union, and the patronage of Heaven.” He later expressed his “gratitude for the interposition of Providence.” He believed in their cause, and he believed that God was acting to guide, support and protect them.

Perhaps most powerful to me were these words, offered towards the end of his speech prior to formally offering his Commission: “I consider it an indispensable duty to close this last solemn act of my Official life, by commending the Interests of our dearest Country to the protection of Almighty God, and those who have the superintendence of them, to his holy keeping.”

I believe that this land was prepared and preserved by God, and that He did keep and guide those who were instrumental in attaining and retaining this land as a land of liberty. I believe that General Washington recognized and felt that guiding hand. And I believe that the work of attaining and retaining this land as a land of liberty is a work that continues to unfold and continues to be threatened.

In celebrating the 4th of July today, I acknowledge pain and errors past and present, but I also rejoice in and give thanks for the liberty with which I am blessed. I am grateful for the freedom of speech that allows to me to learn from the voices of others as well as to contribute my own voice. I am grateful that the right to freedom of speech and assembly allows individuals to advocate for rights that they have been unjustly denied. I am grateful for the freedom of the press that can help expose and mobilize individuals to act against injustice and in defense of virtue, brotherhood, liberty and life. 

I am grateful for the freedom of religion that allows me to know and worship God. And I am grateful that the establishment of the freedom of religion in our nation helped to prepare the world for the prophesied restoration of the fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For these reasons and many others, I am proud to be an American and hope and pray that I can act consistent with the best of its virtues and ideals.
General George Washington Resigning His Commission by John Trumbull

No comments: