Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Ugly Pictures; Beautiful Memories

I just returned from a wonderful week-and-a-half visit to Georgia.  The trip was motivated by an invitation to be involved as a YCL leader at Girls Camp.  This was the third year in which Jenny and I were YCL co-leaders at camp.  And it was wonderful!  I laughed hard, I worked hard, I taught, I served, I grew.  It was great!  And while I could update this blog with entertaining anecdotes, inspiring stories, or impressive insights from camp, instead I will share pictures of my camp wardrobe.

Last year, on a whim, Jenny and I decided to color-coordinate all of our camp outfits.  This year, we decided to take things a step farther and to have a camp spirit week in which we had a theme for each day. We selected the daily themes and invited our YCLs to join us.  In anticipation of this spirit week, one of our YCLs emailed us an email with the subject line "Bring it on."  The text of the email included the following: "I am personally challenging myself to out-tacky you both. No big deal or anything.... But I'm bringing my hideous best so I expect a lot from you too :) "

Inspired by such lofty expectations, we spent a few hours at two flea markets and a thrift store on Saturday to obtain appropriately tacky attire.  And if I do say so myself, we brought it.  But you can be the judge.  So, without further adieu, here are some horrible pictures of Jenny and I decked out in our camp spirit duds.

Monday: Alumni Day (P.S. We made the sign!)
Tuesday: Who Hair Day
Wednesday: 80's Day
Thursday: Tacky Day
Thursday Night: Formal wear for attending skit night
Friday: Camp T-shirt Day
Also, it may be notable that much of our wardrobe (the tacky outfits, 80s pants, and both formals) were claimed by youth and leaders.  So, don't bother asking me if you can borrow anything tacky.  I left it all in Georgia!  Good times.

1 comment:

Scott and Emily said...

Wow. Not gonna lie. The tacky clothes and formals were quite, well, tacky.