Sunday, September 8, 2013

Wistful and Grateful

At 6:17 this morning I was woken up to the sound of my phone vibrating, announcing having  received a text message.  It was a friend from Georgia letting me know that it was announced that I had been released from my calling in the Young Women organization and that someone else had been put in in my place.  Since I moved away from Georgia over a month ago now (my, how the time flies!), I have known that I was as good as released, but I didn't want to let go.  It even caused me to be a little leisurely about having my church membership records transferred to my new ward here in Arizona.  But, I am now officially released, and my records have officially been sent.  It is time to plant roots here and to look forward.  Still, I have a feeling that I will always love the youth of the Athens Stake, and particularly the girls I was blessed to serve and associate with.  It has been a great two years.

In a conversation with a friend earlier this week, I was talking about how much I had loved my service relative to the youth.  She asked me what something I learned was through my experience.  The thought that came to me then, and remains with me still, is that I learned, to at least some small degree, how much the Lord truly loves and trusts the youth.  They are precious to Him.  He loves them and knows their potential and He wants them to succeed.  I could feel that love.  Further, my best scripture studies have been studies in preparations for leadership trainings with youth and with leaders of youth.  I was blessed with an increase of insight and revelation, and an outpouring of the Spirit that I have only otherwise experienced as a missionary.  It was amazing.  Anyway, even though I don't anticipate any of my youth ever seeing this blog, I still wanted to say that I love them, I miss them, and I am grateful for the ways that they have taught me and blessed my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Allison, I know that was kind of a melancholy moment for you. You had just told me last week how you didn't want to be released, but . . . seriously were you doing your job?
It had to end sometime, all good things do, but you'll do other great things in your life. Those YW were blessed to have you!